Mainers and Hermits invade

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Mainers and Hermits invade

Postby the dog » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Hello. Dog here. Like the Hermit, I have been lurking quite a while. I may slip and sign Hermit to my posts, it's my usual handle! No kidding a month ago I started thinking of different ones to use on this forum, I don't know why. I wasn't in any hurry anyway I was on dog time or teardrop time as you folks call it. Then I saw Hermit, the Maine people joining and "the dog" just came to me. It's me. "The dog" is Diogenes nickname. An extremely colorful character to say the least, student of Antisthenes whom he soon surpassed. He believed in the philosophy of a dog. The truthfulness, the simplicity, brash and unashamed. When he saw a child drinking from cupped hands he discarded his own beggars bowl saying "the child had bested him at simplicity".... Where am I going with this? Who knows, I just like the guy and I already forgot my point :roll: Oh yea, the pure simplicity of teardrop camping, time is moot, you know.

To you Maineacks in the area, I'm North side of Monson about 10mi from Greenville and Moosehead lake. I may be a hermit but I'm not totally unsociable and can be of help. Got mucho tools like you know, 220v wire welder with gas, compressors, nail gun, generators, also barn, acres. My Ex just graduated UMO BSN program this past fall. Phi Beta kappa stuff or whatever it's called, smart lady. Smart enough to dump the dog :lol:

Oh yea, Chatam NY! If you see this thread. I know Chatam well, but it was many moons ago. Loved the fair and the stock especially.

I make knives. Website is in my profile and a 10 year old mug of me before I shucked 75 pounds. I love dogs, wild critters that hang out here, outdoors. The 2 in my avatar are mine, Eeyore and Bo-wu. They are Chinese Hairless Cresteds, yes they are naked ones and need the pajamas. Coats too. Of course dad picks out their outfits, dresses them, cooks for them and treats them much better than himself.

I have 3 different teardrop designs I wish to build. One a traditional for sure. 2 I have to get permission from Starfleet Command to post specs of, or at least ask Elvis.

Am I nuts? Yea. Opinionated? yea. Tactful? no. A fine handsome very strange catch for some teardrop girl? hell yea 8) Full of "it"? yea... Dog
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." Diogenes of Sinope
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Image and jump right in the sand box. :thumbsup: I think you will fit right in! :)

You just need to remember to keep Aunti's bubble oil level with lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello Mr. Dog,

Welcome to the forum. As Aunti said above, pictures are very important to us, when you start your build. Keeps the bubble oil level. Diogenes, huh? A cynic, or rather the father of cynicism. I always liked his goals of self-sufficiency, the ascetic way of life and anaideia, or shamelessness. He definitely walked the walk. Unfortunately, all I remember about him, I learned in college, almost forty years ago. Seems like the word cynic, meant doglike. Anyway, glad you joined. And hope we can help out with your build.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby the dog » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks Auntie and Uncle. I did add a few pics to the album. Not much, just us dogs, tow vehicle. I read Dells thread, bubble aye :worship:

Yes the Greeks called Diogenes the Dog and the Greek word for dog was "cynic" (Plato called him a "Socrates gone mad") Antisthenes was the one founded the Greek school of cynicism. Diogenes was his pupil and excelled as a cynic. The Athenians as a people really loved the guy.

I have a sturdy 5x10 utility for my tractor but it's buried under too much snow for a pic. I think the trailer will be from scratch instead so I'll do many pics from the steel up. There are other projects here like a new shop, gather firewood and get ready for next winter before this one is even over but I AM going to make time for the tear. Dog
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." Diogenes of Sinope
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kevin A » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum, Dog.

I know that area of Maine well, got numerous cousins in the area.
My Mom was born and raised in Abbot Village.
Being from Portland myself, I claim the distinction of being called a Maineack even if I was only 6 months old when I moved west. :lol:
We'll be looking for the photos of your build as you progress.
:thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby the dog » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 pm

Kevin A wrote:Welcome to the forum, Dog.

I know that area of Maine well, got numerous cousins in the area.
My Mom was born and raised in Abbot Village.
Being from Portland myself, I claim the distinction of being called a Maineack even if I was only 6 months old when I moved west. :lol:
We'll be looking for the photos of your build as you progress.
:thumbsup:

Thanks Kevin. Abbot is still "the most livable village in maine" Held it since I moved here in 99. I know Y- reka a bit. I lived in Long Beach a year, 20 years in Wa state, the wet side. Pics aye. I take lots of them. I'll try to keep the album tear related, mostly anyway but I have space on my website to upload and link some off topic ones people may enjoy. Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby satch » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Man, I thought I was alittle "koo-koo". Welcome bro, I think you will add alot of exitement to the forum. 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby the dog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:07 am

satch wrote:Man, I thought I was alittle "koo-koo". Welcome bro, I think you will add alot of exitement to the forum. 8)

Thanks Bro. Kookoo is putting it mild, I'm full blown nuts :) Got the VA fooled though :roll: Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Hello Mr. Dog

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the globe.. :applause: :applause:

I see you are also a "Puukko Maker" well greetings from the Land of the Puukko - Finland. And the Land of the Sami.

Enjoy your stay with all of us here and make sure you keep us fed with lots of photos if you build or happen to camp :lol: :lol:

Best regards
Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby the dog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Hello Mr. Dog

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the globe.. :applause: :applause:

I see you are also a "Puukko Maker" well greetings from the Land of the Puukko - Finland. And the Land of the Sami.

Enjoy your stay with all of us here and make sure you keep us fed with lots of photos if you build or happen to camp :lol: :lol:

Best regards
Classic Finn :thumbsup:

Thanks Mr Finn. It is a friendly bunch. Yes, puukkos are my favorite knife hands down. I make my interpretation anyway, some leukkos too. I don't think there has ever been a better knife/sheath design for everyday carry, use, holding an edge (laminated carbon) and ease of sharpening(one flat bevel).

For the curious, below is a pic of a leukko I made, with sheath. It's a massive blade at 7" long but it's a butchering knife. Usually only a small utility knife is carried, 3 inches or so but the Sami (sp) carry sometimes 3. The handle is moose and Nordic birch, flame birch, curly birch with 60 coats of linseed 50/50 with turps. The brass chape at the top holds the belt hanger which is mystery braid and is removable with a leather notch. Simple, like a tear

I have a few from "over there". My favorite is the M95 "Finnish Rangers Carry Knife" I got it directly from the designer/maker J.P Peltonen in Fiskars I made a puukko for a Tactical Knife magazine writer who wrote the article on the M95 and he hooked me up. J.P. signed the manual and hand wrote me a note. Kind of special knife to me. Shares a spot with my Sykes Fairbairn WW2 actually carried by a Brit operative. I like yellow finn potatoes too. Dog
Image 8)
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Welcome Aboard Dog!
Bitchin duds on your owners!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Hermit » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 pm

Hello there Dog, from what i read you seem to be quite the hermit. Sorry i took the name on ya, but the name i usually use i didnt deem appropriate for such a site as this. And this Diogenescharacter seems to be very much the kind of character i like, i should do some reseach into him.

-Hermit-
-Hermit-
Hermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby the dog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Welcome Aboard Dog!
Bitchin duds on your owners!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dean. My owners are better dressed than I am. They have several sets of fleece pajamas, lighter ones, toddler shirts, even booties that they won't wear. Same booties Iditarod dogs wear and Eeyore even has mukluks. Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby the dog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 am

Hermit wrote:Hello there Dog, from what i read you seem to be quite the hermit. Sorry i took the name on ya, but the name i usually use i didnt deem appropriate for such a site as this. And this Diogenescharacter seems to be very much the kind of character i like, i should do some reseach into him.

-Hermit-

Hey Hermit! You're more than welcome to the name, there is more than 1 hermit in this world :D

Diogenes is one of the most colorful characters of old Greece. Just google Diogenes of Sinope or just Diogenes and much comes up or,,, Here's some to get you started. Being a hermit I also suggest a book to you; "Hermits" by Peter Franz(sp) It starts with Greek hermits, island of Pathos and goes thru many hermits in many lands.

by Diogenes Laertius http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/diogenes/dldiogenes.htm

This one is good, some nice pictures.
http://www.beyond-the-pale.co.uk/diogenes.htm

and of course the winkpedia one with many pertinent links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope

Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hermit » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 pm

thanks for the great refrences there Dog, and permission for use of the name. Ill also see what my boss's know as well.

Oh and also you make some exellent knives. But where as i know what you mean when you say "almost infinate supply" , but where do you get all those various materials? and why no unicorn horn?
-Hermit-
Hermit
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves