Mainers and Hermits invade

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby the dog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 pm

Hermit wrote:thanks for the great refrences there Dog, and permission for use of the name. Ill also see what my boss's know as well.

Oh and also you make some exellent knives. But where as i know what you mean when you say "almost infinate supply" , but where do you get all those various materials? and why no unicorn horn?

You're welcome. No permission necessary, hermits a state of mind :?

Thank you. I order much material from Norway. I have dealt with Spain, Italy, France, Canada even Pakistan for materials. (camel bone from Pakis) I think the unicorn is because of the suppliers holding back. I need to ask Hagrid if he can get me some, I'll send an owl. One supplier boasts narwhal but has never come thru. I like fossilized material alot. OOsic is very interesting, sea cow, mastodon ivory bark. All pearls are beautiful. I use much horn and antlers too. I lovemaking knives and edged tools. Dog
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." Diogenes of Sinope
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hermit » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:31 pm

ok thats good to know. That's quite the selection of materials, and how much does it tend to cost to have one made?
-Hermit-
Hermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey Dog,

Welcome to the forum...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby the dog » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 am

mikeschn wrote:Hey Dog,

Welcome to the forum...

Mike...

Thanks Mike. I'm messing with design and sketchup now. Hopefully I'll have some related posts soon. Dog
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." Diogenes of Sinope
the dog
Teardrop Builder

the dog

Postby mary and bob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:53 pm

wait a minute here, this is kind of weird. I'm in Chatham,NY, years ago I used Hermit as a CB handle, and our son teaches at University of Maine, Orono. Do I know you dog, you look kind of familiar, but I have trouble remembering names. give me a clue. also we used to go to Maine alot as friends had moved from here to Rockland, probably 30 years ago. now they are in Arizona, but go to Maine in the summer as one kid is still there. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Re: the dog

Postby the dog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:48 am

mary and bob wrote:wait a minute here, this is kind of weird. I'm in Chatham,NY, years ago I used Hermit as a CB handle, and our son teaches at University of Maine, Orono. Do I know you dog, you look kind of familiar, but I have trouble remembering names. give me a clue. also we used to go to Maine alot as friends had moved from here to Rockland, probably 30 years ago. now they are in Arizona, but go to Maine in the summer as one kid is still there. Bob

Lot's of coincidences 8) Ok some clues. When I was young I spent all my free time in West Stockbridge. Unc used to take me everywhere (3 of them, Rino, Cust and Leo). I spent much time with Fred Bashera the fire ranger on the mountain in Austerlitz (gone now), both at the tower and his cabin. In Chatham it was late 50-late 70's I was around, visiting the uncs friends, the fair, business. There was an old fellow named Ed Kline, he had leg braces. I know the area well, unc knew EVERYONE, he's 97 or so and still going, still lives across the cannon in WS in the old colonial. Rino, you may know him, everyone else does! Very much a socialite, welder, real estate, caretaking.. Me? Hmmm The Ex did Orono 3 or 4 years, I'm a hermit and don't go anywhere. Oh yea, couple other great haunts. State Line diner back in the 60's (I'd wash dishes for a burger there, mowed lawns for a handfull 22 shells). Gas station in Aust right on 22 just south of the intersection to Chat, old owner used to collect antique cars. Think it was Stonys. Lots of trout out of that stream with Dot Perrys boy. This was back in the soda fountain in gas stations days. I was pretty popular as a woodchuck removal expert :D Ever meet the old Hermits Bill and Tom up on Dean hill? They were real hermits, lived simple, 60 head black angus and did all farm work by hand and with workhorses, no utilities at all, ever. Spent much time there too (very much, think it affected me), eating popcorn cooked in coon grease, woodchuck (good stuff) what an experience spending time with the uncs friends. Young hermit always chucked some dynamite on the 4th. Dog :applause: Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

old times

Postby mary and bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 am

My family was from west stockbridge, and i grew up in richmond, i also have uncles in w.s. they are Zonconatos and barretts. I also know Dinello's from the gas station. Small world. My name was Rawling. I remember hte hermits, used to be scared to death of them was told NEVER go there but of course never did as I was told and went anyways, they used to offer us popcorn all the time and they used to spit in a can all the time, must have been wacky tabacy. they were really nice but different. one is buried up there. I lived at the base of dean hill on west road right next to john steele.
mary
mary and bob
500 Club

the dog

Postby mary and bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:29 am

well I grew up just outside Chatham, toward spencertown, family had a farm, raised turkeys and milk cows. I still have 10 acres and a couple ratty barns. the Parkway took our original houses and barns, haven't got over that yet. and it changed the whole character of the area. people from "the city" [NY], paying big bucks for houses and increasing the taxes out of sight. I remember Stony's, and think it was his brother Milt that lived down the road toward Red Rock. Been to the fire tower, but I remember Stan Engel having a lot to do with that. still have the card he signed back in the 60's so I could get my first hunting license. got any extra room up there for me, it's changed too much here, they don't want people like us here. only problem is, I don't much like the cold. funny how I saw your post, lot of interesting stuff on this site, but we have dialup system and it's SOOO slow, can't look at it all. you must know some of Mary's family. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Re: the dog

Postby the dog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:03 am

mary and bob wrote:well I grew up just outside Chatham, toward spencertown, family had a farm, raised turkeys and milk cows. I still have 10 acres and a couple ratty barns. the Parkway took our original houses and barns, haven't got over that yet. and it changed the whole character of the area. people from "the city" [NY], paying big bucks for houses and increasing the taxes out of sight. I remember Stony's, and think it was his brother Milt that lived down the road toward Red Rock. Been to the fire tower, but I remember Stan Engel having a lot to do with that. still have the card he signed back in the 60's so I could get my first hunting license. got any extra room up there for me, it's changed too much here, they don't want people like us here. only problem is, I don't much like the cold. funny how I saw your post, lot of interesting stuff on this site, but we have dialup system and it's SOOO slow, can't look at it all. you must know some of Mary's family. Bob

The fire tower was active when I used to go up it. It was great, what a view. Chet Consolini signed my first license in WS. Stony took me for a nice ride to Chatham, in a 1919 Franklin one day. People were good to me, I had a nice childhood.
The rich from NY, the Tanglewood/Lenox crowd took over 20 years ago. I'd be mad losing out to a parkway! That was all farm land and woods at $500 an acre until the rich found "heaven" and land went to $50K an acre overnight. It's all estates now. Unc has one chunk of farm land left in WS on Baker st. Was 140 acres but 80 acres now, offered $2mil and refused it. Too steep for me to live there!
I was on dialup here and would have been forever. Even if they say "no way" when checking (and they did for years), if your under 18,000 feet from a verizon tele substation you can have dsl. I got it back a month ago by being persistent. Yes there is room here, more and more of it actually. In 2000 we had 666 for a population in Monson, now it's 500. 8 in 10 homes are for sale, they don't sell fast and are priced at peanuts. Cold? Nah, it's almost above freezing now and the hard ice pack is down to about 5 feet. My utility trailer is still invisible under snow :thinking:
I may very well know Marys family. Unc loves company. He says this to everyone he sees. "Rino, xxx Albany rd, stop by and have coffee" He means it too. Lonely old bachelor, reminds me of me :roll: Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby mary and bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 am

no snow here, 40 degrees and light rain, hasn't been too bad a winter, not like we used to have. I remember a couple big snows, about 69 or 70. my kid just bought his house in Orono last spring, I talked him into buying a snowblower. he got a big Toro and is darn glad he did, although he has to calculate out payback time, being as he is a math professor. I told him forget that figuring, you just need it, end of story. He's super smart but not alot of common sense. did I see you mention tractor? what have you got? being a farm kid, I can't resist them, but only have 3 myself. I work with a guy who lives on Dean Hill road, just off Baker Street, he knows everybody and everything about WS and Richmond, so I'll figure this out. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby the dog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:22 pm

mary and bob wrote:no snow here, 40 degrees and light rain, hasn't been too bad a winter, not like we used to have. I remember a couple big snows, about 69 or 70. my kid just bought his house in Orono last spring, I talked him into buying a snowblower. he got a big Toro and is darn glad he did, although he has to calculate out payback time, being as he is a math professor. I told him forget that figuring, you just need it, end of story. He's super smart but not alot of common sense. did I see you mention tractor? what have you got? being a farm kid, I can't resist them, but only have 3 myself. I work with a guy who lives on Dean Hill road, just off Baker Street, he knows everybody and everything about WS and Richmond, so I'll figure this out. Bob

Well, there's 3 inches out there now and coming down hard. :? The tractor is just a Husky garden size. Got my eyeballs on an old cub or similar for yarding firewood out of my woods. Used to use an old Ford F and an even older one as a kid in WS. Crankers of course. I have 2 snowblowers, both husky 11 hp. He will recoup. I used to pay a plow, then decided I would plow. I plowed 3 years, nice and warm, easy but terrible on a truck. Idler arm every year. Snowblower is the answer but you got to be hardy.

Well when that buddy comes down dean hill, then under the railroad underpass to the stop sign he is facing the 80 acres for sale. (shot many grouse and rabbit on the first 2 miles of Dean) Gravel pit in back and pond. Ever swim the ore-bed? Greenhouse still on Baker? That whole area was "the farm", been in the family over 100 years. Gramps was a dynamiter at the Lee lime plant. As a kid out hunting chucks the police Cheif (Old man Pixley)handed me a revolver and said shoot that particular Baker st sign. I did. It was different then, I was driving at 11 with unc and he caught me. "Got to learn sometime he says" He will know Rino, everyone does. Leo lived right around the corner, Cust too, just don't go under the pass go right instead (RFD 2). That tornado hit right there 40 years ago killed the other unc. Helen is still in the house across from the original farmhouse. He will know her too. I can name maybe 50 people there, mostly old Italians in the area, you know. Rino retired GE in Pittsfield.

Oh yea, I know everyone in Richmond too. Ones left anyway. The other Cheif, Senaco, one arm guy Red (both gone) Blacksmith Tim? hThat smith hung onto a wheel in the tornado and lived. Cried like a baby about my unc.

Beautiful area. I'm happy I spent alot of time there. Dog
Last edited by the dog on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Re: old times

Postby the dog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 pm

mary and bob wrote:My family was from west stockbridge, and i grew up in richmond, i also have uncles in w.s. they are Zonconatos and barretts. I also know Dinello's from the gas station. Small world. My name was Rawling. I remember hte hermits, used to be scared to death of them was told NEVER go there but of course never did as I was told and went anyways, they used to offer us popcorn all the time and they used to spit in a can all the time, must have been wacky tabacy. they were really nice but different. one is buried up there. I lived at the base of dean hill on west road right next to john steele.
mary

Mary I missed that post. I know them all. Sure, I remember Mr Barrett. Rino and I used to visit him. He'd give unc a beer and I'd make off with it. Dinellos WS garage? Troys? I caught close 1 million fish from that bridge in WS.
I spent alot of time with the hermits. The old mans (Tom) wife kept trying to poison him. So he left and took Bill. Bill was in his 50's when Tom died, Yom was 84. He had never yet had any dealings with women. Yes, Tom chewed and drooled in that white beard. Tom was part indian, wanted to die at home and his gun with him. I brought him chicken soup my Noni made (Corinna Delmolino). Drs gave him a sedative and went after him later but he came walking out! Against his and Bills will, they took him to the hospital and he died. I was with Bill. Bill was going in circles like a wounded animal. Yes, Tom is buried right under the big maple by the road where I spent years of good times. He is also under tons of cement. Bill was sure he was coming out because Bill let the Drs take him away. The minute he was burried, Bill sold and left.

Know the Nortons and Cortes? Across the street from the unc. Eyvonne Palmer one side, May Troy the other (gone) I hung with all them boys, very close. Kevin N and Billy C were killed in an auto AA. Rino was the para, saw that and last call he ever made. I saw Irene Norton a year ago, she looks like she did when we were kids.
Nice if you get to see Rino and have a coffee. His mind is as sharp as can be and he is lonely. Oh yea, they all know me as Shawn, Gemma's boy is probably a surer bet. Jeanette (Gemma), Corinna, Nini, Rino, Leo, Cust were the children. Jeanette is mom. Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

old times

Postby mary and bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:07 pm

I remember the pit or ore bed very well used to swing off the rope, never had to worry about hitting bottom. Old ray barrett was my grandfather. my aunt and uncle hellen and vasco zankanato, cant spell it, lived up the road from the canon, across the sreet from the school, they both just passed away, talk about italian, he lived to 90 something and was an avid gardener, had four pretty daughters. I am one of seven kids, i am 58 years YOUNG and my oldest sister is 66. dottie, tommy, martha, nancy, jimmy me and raymond. were you around when 3 boys were speeding across the mass pike bridge and cut thier car in half? the bridge was just past the state line diner? when the car stopped the one was still hanging onto the wheel, i remember the tornado going through, I was on my way to pittsfield and stopped in canaan at my parents becuase it was so dark I couldnt see, then started up again and couldnt get over dean hill and couldnt figure out why untill i saw the truckstop, think david dus was involved in that also. remember a women was killed because she was outside getting laundry off the line or something like that. sure is a small world huh? troys gargae bought a 55 red ford we had, which we never should have sold, and used to play chicken down the other side of the mountain from w stockbridge to tangelwood, with jerry colvin driving. :o
mary and bob
500 Club

Re: old times

Postby the dog » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:08 am

mary and bob wrote:I remember the pit or ore bed very well used to swing off the rope, never had to worry about hitting bottom. Old ray barrett was my grandfather. my aunt and uncle hellen and vasco zankanato, cant spell it, lived up the road from the canon, across the sreet from the school, they both just passed away, talk about italian, he lived to 90 something and was an avid gardener, had four pretty daughters. I am one of seven kids, i am 58 years YOUNG and my oldest sister is 66. dottie, tommy, martha, nancy, jimmy me and raymond. were you around when 3 boys were speeding across the mass pike bridge and cut thier car in half? the bridge was just past the state line diner? when the car stopped the one was still hanging onto the wheel, i remember the tornado going through, I was on my way to pittsfield and stopped in canaan at my parents becuase it was so dark I couldnt see, then started up again and couldnt get over dean hill and couldnt figure out why untill i saw the truckstop, think david dus was involved in that also. remember a women was killed because she was outside getting laundry off the line or something like that. sure is a small world huh? troys gargae bought a 55 red ford we had, which we never should have sold, and used to play chicken down the other side of the mountain from w stockbridge to tangelwood, with jerry colvin driving. :o

Yes, the ropes :twisted:It sure was deep! Once it's over your head it doesn't much matter except for the sea monsters. You aunt and Unc (Rino knew Vasco, me too) lived right by some other relatives, just off the road right at the school, maybe 1/10 mile. That's right by Chet too. Great uncle, we called them Tia and Zio. My dad liked to go have coffee and grappa with him. Right by the school is where Kevin and Billy hit the huge maple over 100mph, in the 70s while home on leave. I wasn't around when the pike accident happened. Beginning 70's I was gone, a different unc "U Sam" I don't get there much but need to go this spring. There was a garden in the back yard at Rays, something else too. Didn't he do the pheasants and release? The tornado was terrible. Killed 6 people, what a freak accident. There was one 100 years prior in the same spot. The foundation to Custs home is still there at the base of dean hill, that's all no one goes there. I don't know why I never settled there once an adult. Rino still wants me to live there, take care of him and the place. He keeps me up on all the old timers still around and of course "remember so and so, he died, all my friends are dead" Poor old geezer, sure was good to me. I'm 53, Moms about 79. Dog
the dog
Teardrop Builder

could be related by marriage

Postby mary and bob » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:45 pm

well heres another bit of intersting news dog, my older sister says my aunt sis was married to a leno delmalino, your relation? sure is a small world, she was my moms younger sister
mary
our paths must have crossed sometime or other. :thinking:
mary and bob
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves