New from Vermont

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from Vermont

Postby indytrail2001 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:34 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been researching the teardrop camper and discovered your site. It is an excellent source of information. After looking at some of the models in the Hall of Fame, I have decided to build my own. Trouble is, I already have 2 trailers sitting in the yard, a 8x12 snowmobile trailer with 8 inch tires and a Home Depot special 5x10 with 12 inch tires. So I am going to try and adapt one of them to serve the purpose. Both are currently tilt trailers. Do you think I am better off starting with something else?

My wife is a nay sayer on the project. But I have no desire to purchase a truck with today's gas prices, just to occasionally pull a travel trailer a few times a year. Let's see.. Payments on the truck and payments on the trailer, not to mention insurance just for occasional use. It is just the two of us, we are empty nesters with 4 grandchildren. (She seems to think that the travel trailer has to fit the grandkids as well).
indytrail2001
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 am

Image to the playground. Aren't grandkids wonderful. ;) I can't fit all 9 of my grandkids in. 8) They promise to enjoy the tents if we will take them. ;)

Both trailers will work great. If I could do it over I would put bigger wheels on mine (8") and build around them. For a "normal" size teardrop the 5'x10' is perfect :thumbsup:

Course you need to dig out the :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: to keep the bubble oil level. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 am

Welcome to the forum. :shake hands:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you could adapt one of the trailers. 5x10 sounds perfect. Mine is built on a boat trailer.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 am

Hello, indy ~

Welcome

Fellow Vamonta here ~

Maybe the snowmobile trailer could be adapted?
It is best to go with the lightest starting platform as weight costs money to
pull. Think weight while building as your gas dollar will go further the lighter the load.
Maybe a slide in galley would work for you for your duel purpose?

Ask your questions and there will be someone that has crossed that fence before here.
Also check out the index uP on the header for more information.

Steve
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi, welcome to the board. I think your 5x10 with the 12 inch wheels would be my choice. Doing away with the tilting feature should be no problem, many others (including me), have done it with the same type trailer. Also, the 8 inch wheels might not be suited to the weight you plan on adding to the other trailer.
]
A 4x8 trailer tows nicely, can be slipped into most tight areas and is cheaper to build. A 5x10, which has much more room, would probably be the choice for the second builder, because you see, you can't build just one! Upper bunks could be added in a 5 ft wide rig if the grandkids are small enough. Keep us informed on your build and take lots of pics.
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves