Hello from dfw texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from dfw texas

Postby looped » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Hello there guys and gals!

I have recently started on a trailer project in the teardrop style, seeing that i have never done something like this before i figured i should start small and get on a forum for the little questions that pop up during the build.

The teardrop i am currently working on (working on hehe! all it is is a frame and some lumber at this stage!) is going to be a cargo trailer for camping and to haul my R/C gear to and from races. At this point expectations are high.

box dimensions will be something in the neighborhood of 43x64x24 just right for towing around with my camry without killing the mpg.

This will be painted to match my car (country blue. dont know where they got that for a name its actually a semi metallic middle blue) it will have a linoleum floor and carpeted walls and ceiling. for the galley door i am thinking something that is similar to what the guy on camping classics does with his. just seems to me to be a cleaner method at least on the edges.

here is the ever changing plans that i am doing this from.. not professional at all looking but serve as rough notes for me. being a visual person the rest is filled in inside my cranium

as i said before this is my first build. i am leaning to the inside out method. any suggestions are welcome.

thank you
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby looped » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:27 pm

forgot to mention this will be going onto a magneta brand trailer.

heres a couple pics of the trailer after stripped it and repainted it black..

"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Welcome to our close knit , South Central group too !! this forum will be a big help and encouragement to you... I hope those td owners in the DFW, Denton, Frisco, Ennis area will get in touch with you.... if you haven't seen one in person, it will help to do that and talk to someone who has built one!

GOOD LUCK , HAVE FUN and come camping with us no matter what!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby looped » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Welcome to our close knit , South Central group too !! this forum will be a big help and encouragement to you... I hope those td owners in the DFW, Denton, Frisco, Ennis area will get in touch with you.... if you haven't seen one in person, it will help to do that and talk to someone who has built one!

GOOD LUCK , HAVE FUN and come camping with us no matter what!

Julie

thanks for the welcome! i really appreciate it. i have been looking through the site and see there are alot of td owners in this area i am hoping that this build will give me the confidence to go ahead and build a true td trailer.

I have been looking at these for a while on the net here and there, have yet to see one up close though. at this point i guess it would be safe to say that i am hooked on the td idea.

how often are the gtg's?
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 pm

And got the pictures down pat :thumbsup: ;) :applause: Image to the playground Looped. Looks like you have a great start on a darn good cooler. Now we know you can tow two cooler........uh trailers at one time in Texas this will work great. Get the practice done and then make it bigger. :thumbsup:

Enjoy 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby looped » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Miriam C. wrote:And got the pictures down pat :thumbsup: ;) :applause: Image to the playground Looped. Looks like you have a great start on a darn good cooler. Now we know you can tow two cooler........uh trailers at one time in Texas this will work great. Get the practice done and then make it bigger. :thumbsup:

Enjoy 8)

thanks with my doing airbrushing everyday i learned that a good pic makes all the difference. I airbrush shells for remote controlled racing cars, some of my work can be found here http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/upevil29/resume/

heres some thumbnails (click for larger images) of the project so far.

Right now i am waiting for some more paint jobs to come in so i can work on this some more. right now there is enough material to do the flooring of it which i will be putting on there soon.

is a 11 inch radius too much to ask of 5.2mm luan?
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:34 pm

:thinking: How much water do you want to boil and how many good long clamps do you have.

I did 12" radius with 1/8". Carefully bending with some large tie downs and some 2x4's.

You can always try it and if it doesn't work get some 1/8". Trick is to buy one.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby looped » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 am

Miriam C. wrote:

:thinking: How much water do you want to boil and how many good long clamps do you have.

I did 12" radius with 1/8". Carefully bending with some large tie downs and some 2x4's.

You can always try it and if it doesn't work get some 1/8". Trick is to buy one.

i went to my home away from home today (home depot)to look at other options for the luan on 11" radius and came across this 1/8th boarding that looked like it could be used for floors or walls, it was like mdf but without the bumps.. thinking this will be a good option. building this 'inside out' should make it doable. i saw a couple other useful tidbits on the camping classics site that will help me pull in the outer luan layer. thinking with the stresses involved i will definitely want to use poplar 1x2 spars instead of pine. originally was thinking of mixing them up a little to save some dough.

This build is taking place in my friends garage (thanks mike!) i went by there tonight to do a little more work to it. got the floor frame material cut and got a couple coats of primer/sealer on the decking that will be used.

with this frame being 58 5/8ths long and the square on the trailer being 36 inches long i have come up with an idea to brace the front using a spacer and the mother of all u bolts.

for the 4 corners i am thinking that i will use the galvanized right angle braces . tried to make a kerr joint without the guide and well aint gonna happen that way. im thinking that the 4 braces and the liberal use of polyeurathane glue/many many composite screws will hold things together nicely.. then it will be off for a can of that nasty black stuff and a brush on the cheap.
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:51 am

My motorcycle tear is 40" x 60" about 28" tall on a 40" x 48" HF Frame.
Used steel pool wall for the top intend to cover with marine vinyl.
Be very careful one small taste could lead to an addiction. See what happened to me.
It's all in the album.Image
THIS

COULD LEAD TO THIS
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:30 am

Welcome aboard, your sketches and arithmatic are impressive. I do wonder if 24 inches is going to be high enough for you to sleep in. The length and width are of no concern, but it looks like you will have to remove your duds, knees hitting the ceiling while flat on your back with only 18" of headroom above the mattress, to get the job done.

Perhaps you should consider making it high enough so you could at least sit up in it. Building it a bit higher shouldn't add that much weight. I haul my 48 x 96 x 48 incher behind my 4 banger Camry with no problems. Remember, build light, and enjoy the ease of pulling uphill.
Roly :roll:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby looped » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:58 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Welcome aboard, your sketches and arithmatic are impressive. I do wonder if 24 inches is going to be high enough for you to sleep in. The length and width are of no concern, but it looks like you will have to remove your duds, knees hitting the ceiling while flat on your back with only 18" of headroom above the mattress, to get the job done.

Perhaps you should consider making it high enough so you could at least sit up in it. Building it a bit higher shouldn't add that much weight. I haul my 48 x 96 x 48 incher behind my 4 banger Camry with no problems. Remember, build light, and enjoy the ease of pulling uphill.
Roly :roll:

i have actually redone the plans a little. the floor is still 58 5/8 but the overall is now about 69 inches and the overall height of the sides is 28. i am not intending this to be a sleep in td. it will be a hauler of camping gear and more.

The trailer i was able to get is much to small for a sleep in trailer. this project is serving as a primer for making a larger true td in the future. call it a practice run.

Right now the plan is to build this up. paint it nice and sharp and use it for a little while.. then when i decide to make the real plunge sell this and use the money for that project.

the revised and final pattern for the sides (cut out the pattern tonight) look like this. I do not have pics of the cut out yet as i didnt have my camera with me when it was done..

- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby looped » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm

question on galley lid locks for my size trailer

would this be too much for it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 11757&rd=1

or should i just go with a pair of these with the lock on one side?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 83052&rd=1

thanks.
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves