Hello from Utah! Possible build idea??

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Utah! Possible build idea??

Postby SmokeyBear » Thu May 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Hey guys,

Love the site, love the posts, and the humor and banter that is seen in the posts here.

I am new here and glad to join yall. I've been surfing the site for about a month planning my attack! I work for the United States Forest Service (hence the name) and I love the outdoors. I've been a Law Enforcement officer for the Forest Service for 8 years now and I try to get out and go camping at every chance possible.

I love to travel and I love to camp. I hate to set up and take down tents, and that has me looking at TDs! I've kicked the idea around before, but now that I've got a wife to kick the idea around with it looks like upper management has given approval to atleast start looking, so here I am.

So many things to say.. I don't know where to start. I guess since I hate tents, I want something that I can camp in without poles and the wind shaking the fabric.

While I would love to go out and buy something sweet, I'd love even more to build something with my own two hands. And while that sounds like a heap of fun, I don't have a shop, tools, and barely enough time to pack my bags and hit the dirt, let alone start from the ground up. I've read here and else where about the HF trailer builds which I kind of like. One thing I haven't read much about is if anyone has converted an enclosed trailer into a TTT or a TD style camper. Does anyone do this? If so can anyone give me some pointers or point me in a good direction?

I found a 5x8 enclosed trailer for $1,400 new. I was thinking if I could add some shelving inside, maybe cut a door/windows and perhaps a vent in the roof I'd be set.. this is all in my head, and I don't know the first thing about the mechanics behind an enclosed, so here I am asking if anyone has kicked this idea around before.

I think for $1,400 for the trailer I could atleast sleep in it with a mattress for a couple outings til I get my ideas on paper or something, but in my lack of infinite wisdom, my brain tells me it shouldn't be too hard.. Right?

So, If I can drill through this stuff, shouldn't I be able to add electricity fairly easy? Atleast one outlet? And maybe cut a door in it, and build a small wall about 1.5 feet in from the back, so it seperates the inside from the outside when the back door is dropped, and when it's dropped have a small counter/shelf/area where I could have a kitchen/stove/food storage?
Any input is helpful here, obviously if you haven't guessed by my introduction already, I've never owned a trailer, let alone a teardrop.

Here are a couple pics of the trailer I'd be buying if this is a doable idea.

Question #2 (or 13 but who's counting?)

How many lbs do I need to be able to pull? I have two automobiles... Both cars. Is this something I can plan on pulling with either my 09 Toyota Corolla, or my 99 Nissan Altima? If not, don't bother answering any of the previous questions, shake your heads in shame, and shoo me off this site.

:oops: :thumbsup:
SmokeyBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmokeyBear » Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm an idiot.. I guess in all my lurking I spent too much time looking at the general forum and the for sale ads... :shocked:

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

Answered!

Hello anyhow!
SmokeyBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 01, 2008 9:23 pm

Image :lol: :lol: :lol: Well the playground is open for fun. :thumbsup: We have lots of conversions and i have seen a couple that are wonderful.

You do need a vent and window though. It is amazing how little oxygen there is in these things.

Draw up a plan and go for it. :thumbsup: Oh and keep up the :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Please. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jmtk » Sat May 03, 2008 9:59 am

Hi Smokey!

Welcome to the addiction! Where in Utah are you? We're in the Salt Lake area. If you're around SLC, too, check out this thread once you get going on your conversion. Hopefully it'll save you some time hunting for parts: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=21102

Have fun!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby madprinter » Sat May 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Welcome,
Theres several nice conversions on the site. I'm sure your will be added soon. A word of warning tho, seems like its hard to stop with just one.
I'm building my first now and I'm already thinking of what will be different on the next build. :?
Its all been fun tho and I'm sure you and the wife will enjoy the conversion.
Good luck and happy building. William
madprinter
The 300 Club

Postby SmokeyBear » Sun May 04, 2008 5:50 pm

jmtk wrote:Hi Smokey!

Welcome to the addiction! Where in Utah are you? We're in the Salt Lake area. If you're around SLC, too, check out this thread once you get going on your conversion. Hopefully it'll save you some time hunting for parts: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=21102

Have fun!

Jeanette

I'm in Orem, so I am not far from you! Thanks for the welcome guys!
SmokeyBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Hey Smoky,

I'm in Idaho and like to go to the north west corner of Utah. And on June 4th will be taking mine to Helper for a campout. then wonder generaly west and north on my way home.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mike C. » Mon May 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Smokey,

Welcome to the forum. I've always thought a cargo trailer would make a cool camper. The only thing I can see, pulling it with one of you cars, is to watch your weight. But I'm sure it's doable.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby satch » Mon May 19, 2008 10:27 pm

WELCOME!! The sky is the limit when building a tailer. Just try not to lose too much sleep thinking about it! ( I'm one burned out s.o.b. right now!) 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 pm

I'm late to the party, but thought I would stop in anyway. :lol:

My only suggestion would be to find a trailer with a front door if possible. Having a front door will allow you a lot more flexibility in how you "build out" the rear of the trailer. Although they don't have the traditional looks of a tear, cargo trailers are probably the most practical starting point for someone looking to get out and get camping.

Just my .02 worth.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves