From Missouri. My two week build on a deadline.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

From Missouri. My two week build on a deadline.

Postby tsj5677 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello my name is Scott. I am from Springfield MO. I got this hair brained idea that I could build a very basic teardrop in two weeks before a big annual float trip. I will add to this as I go and let you all know if I succeed in my build. No hatch or galley. Just one door.

See my album for now. With a few descriptions on the mouseover. I will post more as I go.

BTW my deadline is to be done by next Wednesday. 6/18/08 and I work full time. So this could get interesting.
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:03 pm

All I can say is: Dang!

And: good luck!

:applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Two weeks!!! And a full time job. When do you plan to sleep??

That's one aggressive time table. I'll keep an eye on this thread to follow your progress.

Good Luck.... and happy trails!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 pm

You...........Can..............Do..........It.................

now get off the forum and get busy
you won't have time to read replies untill you are finished

Linda and Charles
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby neal b » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:05 pm

WELCOME ABOARD SCOTT its great to have another teardrop fan from the show me state enjoy your build look great so far what river are you going on?

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby tsj5677 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:56 pm

It's pushing midnight so I had better get to bed pretty quick. I didn't make it as far tonight as I had hoped. I did get all the interior luan in and the rest of the roof spars in. I am sure that there is a much better method to installing the interior luan than the way I did it. :? I don't really have a lot of time to sit down and read too much in this fine forum. So I just have to wing it and then later I will read how I SHOULD have done it. haha

I cut the panels using a very sharp retractable blade and a straight edge. That worked great. I used a liberal amount of poly glue where the luan met the roof spars. I planned on using staples to secure it from the inside. That is when I ran into all sorts of irritation. I couldn't figure out a good way to make sure I stapled into the spars. I didn't really have any good reference points to measure from. I used a small tack on each side and ran tight string between the two. That worked fairly well. But it wasn't until I was about fed up for the evening when an unlikely method came from an unsuspecting daily occurence. -The sun went down.- I started putting stuff away and pushed the teardrop back into the garage and climbed inside with the interior roof about half done and looked up, rather disgusted by my lack of progress for the evening. And I noticed my 200 watt garage bulb was bright enough to shine dimly through the luan and cast a light shadow outlining the spars. So I got out the old 500 watt halogen, turned off all of the other lights in my garage, and had my wife hold it about two inches from the outside of the trailer, casting a perfect shadow as I stapled the rest of the luan in about a 1/4 the time it took to do the first half. :thumbsup:

I will post a couple pics tomorrow. Off to bed.
Last edited by tsj5677 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tsj5677 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 am

Tomorrows goals are to wire 12v for a interior light, vent fan, and continue the wiring on back to eventually put a 12v outlet for a portable dvd player. Insulate the roof and skin the outside with luan to be ready for the sheet metal install on Thursday and Friday nights.

I know that this will be an ongoing project which I can add to and customize later. I just really want to get the basics done. Weather tight and a mattress for the float trip. :D Only time will tell.
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cowboy63645 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:23 am

Its great to see another member from Missouri!! Looks like it is coming along nicely, but like stated above, your on a VERY aggresive time table to complete this project. Good luck and I hope you can get it done in time!!
cowboy63645
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 am

Scott,

Can't wait to see more pictures, your album photos so far are looking great :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tsj5677 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for the great replys. To answer Neal B's question, I am floating on the Spring River in North Central Arkansas the weekend of June 20-22. I figure that I need to have everything packed and ready to go by Thursday the 19th evening so I can leave early from work on Friday and go straight there. Hence the deadline of having the trailer done (well lets call it habitable/campable :) ) by next Wednesday.

I added a couple more pics to my album from last night. Of course more will follow probably daily.

Scott
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:32 pm

:thumbsup: Image to the playground Scott.

A few words about the bulkhead wall. If you leave it out then put a shelf or spars across in it's place. You can toe nail or use a pocket screw.

Looks great so far.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tsj5677 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:25 am

Well once again, after another late night, I made my goal for the evening. My parents stopped by for a while to "help" which only slowed me down for a little while. :)

Wired interior for 12v for light, fan, and power receptacle. Insulated and two layers of outer luan. Trimmed edges and sanded. Cut hole for vent. Ready for aluminum tonight.

Added a few pics to my album.

Scott
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tsj5677 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:35 pm

I just got back from a rather extended lunch break at work. I went and picked up aluminum for the sides and top. I had to go to a semi trailer repair place for the roof aluminum. I didn't want any seams to worry about. So 62" wide by 15' long single sheet. And then went to a R/V supply place for all aluminum trim I will need, roof vent, leveling jacks, putty tape. I already have the windows, offset door hinge, and door handle and lock. So aside from interior paint and tile for the floor, I think I may have everything I need to gets this thing presentable.

More pics later tonight or tomorrow morning.
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Postby neal b » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:38 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep up the great work!!!!

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby tsj5677 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 am

Got the sheet metal mostly installed last night. I had to get help from a friend. Those sheets are just too big to try and manhandle and hold by yourself. Luckily his dad owns a shop so we had plenty of space and any air tool we could think of. They do alot with dirt track cars so he is familiar with working with sheet metal. So even though neither of us had ever skinned a trailer, it went pretty smooth. See album for more pics.
tsj5677
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves