New Guy

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Guy

Postby Tim C » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 am

Hello from Upstate NY. Found you looking for TD info. Planning on building a teardrop soon. Have 4X6 trailer that's only a couple years old. Not sure if I should extend to 8 ft or go for a 5X8.... decisions...
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Welcome, Tim, to the best TD site on the web. A 4x6 trailer may be be a bit light-weight for a much larger trailer. Mine is built on such a frame, but extending it over 8 ft and wider to 5 ft might require larger springs and wheels. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on what you decide, and remember, take pics and post 'em.
Roly :applause:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Mike C. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Roly. Much over 5 X 8 might be too much for a 4 X 6 trailer. But you might post a question down in the Teardrop Construction forum and see what kind of replies you get. Glad you joined and hope you enjoy yourself.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Image to the playground Tim. What kind of 4x6 trailer? How big is the axle and springs? It might make a good ultra lite. :thinking: It is all good. Just use it to haul the lumber home.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

4X6

Postby Tim C » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:11 am

trailer is offsite right now to get specifics. Will post later but the registration says 2000 lbs. Not sure what brand of trlr. Looks just like HD 4X8 model with foldup loading ramp.
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hinermad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:12 am

Tim,

Welcome aboard! Whereabouts in upstate NY are you? I'm just east of Rochester, which has a Harbor Freight store. (Convenient!) I got the heavy-duty 4 x 8 trailer there on sale for $299. I think it might still be on sale if you decide you want a heftier chassis.

Dave
Behind every successful man is a woman who wants a teardrop camper.
Hinermad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:21 am

DEFINITELY go 5' wide .... I am a single gal but soooooo glad I went ahead with a 5x8 , just to be roomier and a little extra space in the galley and cabinets makes a huge difference.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Upstate

Postby Tim C » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 am

Live in Irondequoit off of St Paul near the Zoo.
Where is there a HF store East? Ontario maybe? A new chassis would probably be a better choice.

Thanks for the advice. Still on the fence between the 4 or 5' wide TD..

Tim
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tim C » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 am

There's a HF on E Ridge Rd right up the St.
I don't recall seeing trailers there. Do they have to order them?
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:38 am

Having owned 2 4 wides once before...if'n it were me...I'd go wider, but I don't go a full 5 wide. I've built 3 tears 4'6" wide, I think that is full size mattress. That was for me and a dog that took up her fair share of space. A 4'wide works out great for sheet goods, over that and there is going to be some waste, but it's worth it in the long run. Welcome aboard, jump in the water is fine. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Hinermad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Tim C wrote:There's a HF on E Ridge Rd right up the St.
I don't recall seeing trailers there. Do they have to order them?

Tim,

That's the store. The trailers are kits. You get two big heavy boxes (although I was able to lift them - barely - until one of the straps broke, but by that time it was in the truck) with a bunch of metal pieces in one and the tires, lights, and everything else in the other. You have to ask a salesperson if you want one, but they generally have them in the back room at the store.

I'm close to having my trailer assembled, but today's rain put a crimp in my plans.

Dave

P.S. I live in Ontario but I work in the city. There's not much out this way. D.
Hinermad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tim C » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Thx. Went there at 7:45 tonight... they close at 7Pm now. will check in the morning. Do you know what model you got? capacity? is it folding?
I used to live in Ontario till about 5 years ago.

thanks for the help

Tim
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hinermad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Tim C wrote:Thx. Went there at 7:45 tonight... they close at 7Pm now. will check in the morning. Do you know what model you got? capacity? is it folding?

Tim,

It's this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94564

1740 lb. capacity, 12" tires. It doesn't fold but if you remove a couple of pins from the tongue where it crosses the first cross member the deck tilts back for loading. I'll probably replace the pins with bolts. I don't think a tilting teardrop is such a good idea.

I understand I'll have to move the axle back some to get the right balance for a teardrop, especially since I want to make a 5 x 10 foot camper, but the spring hangers bolt on so it shouldn't be too big a job. (Fingers crossed.)
I used to live in Ontario till about 5 years ago.

thanks for the help

You're welcome. I wouldn't mind living in closer, but I like the school district out here. Good luck!

Dave
Hinermad
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves