Hello from Highland California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Highland California

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi everyone, I saw a ahow once on T.V about Tear Drops. I saw different ways that people were doing to restore their Tear Drops. I thought man it would be great to own one of those. That was 5 years ago or so, just last week i was helping my aunt get rid of of some stuff that my uncle had in his shed. she really doesnt have any need for them because my uncle was killed in the line of duty last year my an 18 year old drunk driver. well he had a 57 buggy in the back and i helped her sell it to one of my co-workers. when i heard her mention to my coworker if he wanted to buy a tear drop i told her "no, dont sell it." " ill give you whatever you want for it ill make you payments." my wifes response was what the hell do you want that piece of junk for. i told her please just trust me im gonna get it and when i fix it you will love it. well my aunt asked six hunddred for it and we agreed even though my wife is a little mad but when i told its for camping she finally said ok but you better work on it.

I havent picked it up because the tires are flat so i got to put some used tires on it so i can bring it home. trust me thois thing needs work the wood is all rottening and the back lift up door is comming off, its not reusable. anyway i am going to need some help guys. im going to make it a beaut. and it still has the original black plates on it, woooohoooo. anyways ill try to get some pictures for you guys next week. thank you sorry for the long storry. 8)
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby del » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 pm

welcome TD. Yes we will want to see pics. Have you found out who made it and when? To get your wife on board, you may get her to help with the galley (kitchen) set up, it has worked for other members.

Welcome and good luck with the restore.
del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 pm

you know what buddy i dont know the exact year and the name i forgot the name but it did have it on the side it started with the letter "B" :thinking:
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby alffink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Hello TD_Dodger

Welcome to the fun or addiction, your wife may have another name for it once you are really bitten, there are several of us in the Inland Empire.

I'm in Rialto myself, so get it home, walk around several times, think about what you would like to do with the Tear when you are done, not necessarily what you are going to do to it Yet.

Read through the "Sticky's" lots of info, probably end up with information overload, there is lots there.

Then start taking pictures, lots of picture and then ask all the questions you want, someone will have the answer shortly, or it will start an entire thread with several points of view and eventually.... an answer. 8)

Oh?? name starts with a B, could it be...an original BenRoy, if so excellent
acquisition! :applause: :thumbsup:
alffink
Donating Member

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:30 pm

YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK THATS WHAT IT IS, BUT IM NOT TO SURE I WILL HAVE TO GET IT ON MONDAY. IS THAT A GOOD BRAND? OHH AND COOL MY PARENTS ARE TRYNG TO GET A HOME IN RIALTO. I CANT WAIT TO GET IT HOME, MY WIFE IS GOING TO LAUGH WHEN SHE SEES THE SHAPE ITS IN. SINCE ALL THE WOOD IS FALLING APPART DO I TAKE EVERYTHING OUT AND DISPOSE OF IT?
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby alffink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 pm

You'll probably end ups disposing of most of it, BUT, take it apart gently, much of the body can be used as the template for the rebuild, and carefully look at the enterior design, you may want to copy the original also, but a totally new enterior that reflects what you feel is right, will work also.
Very few of the originals have the same enterior or even the same galley layout, just don't take a sledge to it, unless, you really know the direction you want to take, is different than what is before you.
Also, original hardware is difficult to come by, so remove carefully, even if you don't think it is worth using someone out here will probably jump at the chance to take it off your hands. In the same way watch for any original plates, plaques, stickers etc. also remove these if possible or at least take good pictures of....nice to have the serial numbers and such to go with the origial CA plates. 8)
alffink
Donating Member

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:05 pm

YEAH I WAS EXCITED WHEN I SAW IT HAD THE ORIGINAL BLACK LICENSE PLATE
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:41 pm

ONE MORE QUESTION BUDDY IS THER AN INLAND EMPIRE TD CLUB
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 pm

TD_Dodger wrote:ONE MORE QUESTION BUDDY IS THER AN INLAND EMPIRE TD CLUB

Welcome aboard. Glad you asked that question. There is not really a Teardrop Club in the inland empire but there is a So-Cal Chapter of the Tear Jerkers. Be happy to have you. Just click on the chapter logo below. Also, I'm rebuilding a 1946 KIT (mfg) teardrop and you can see how I'm doing it. HERE

And by the way, if your not doing anything this weekend, come on up to Wrightwood Saturday and look around. There is going to be a Teardrop & Vintage Trailer Gathering at the Table Mountain Campground. It's across from Mountain High West Ski Resort.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SuperTroll » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm

yep, and DO bring the wife...once she sees the Goal, the path you take toward it will be smoother...Mine was a rough road until my wife sat in it and got a feel for what it will be when finished.....now she's ready to go when we make the maiden voyage...... :applause:
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum. Load up the wife and come on up the the top of the mountain. Lots of friendly campers, with wives that will fill your Sweeie in regarding the carefree camping lifestyle. Join us for the look-see time on Saturday and the feast later in the evening. Lots of chatter around the campfires after that. See you at the top.
Roly, So Cal woody guy.......... 8)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:32 pm

I would love to go, the only problem is i work weekends and i work 16 hours on sundays, its kinda hard to get weekends off when you have only been working for the sheriffs department only a year.

but do have fun! i did show my wife some of your guys pictures and she thought they looked cool. but i dont think she will be convinced until we are done with it.
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Welcome to the forum. Load up the wife and come on up the the top of the mountain. Lots of friendly campers, with wives that will fill your Sweeie in regarding the carefree camping lifestyle. Join us for the look-see time on Saturday and the feast later in the evening. Lots of chatter around the campfires after that. See you at the top.
Roly, So Cal woody guy.......... 8)

roly i love your desing, how do you keep it from getting watter damage
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Image to the playground TD Dodger and wife. Addictions are so much fun. If you can get a picture there are lots of people who can identify and help with the rebuild.

My husband had doubts too. He wasn't even sure I could do this thing. Thought I was really gonna take the chain saw to it a time or two. It is mostly done and needing a fix already. We love it!

Enjoy :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:35 pm

TD-dodger, water is no problem for a dedicated woody owner. I simply keep it completely covered all year long, out of the heavy So Calif dew, sprinkles, cloudbursts, lengthy rain showers occasional snow storms and huricanes. All the while having a dehumidifier inside, in operation all of the time. So far, no dryrot or water-logged mattress.

Naw.........just kidding. I am fortunate to have a 12 ft wide covered carport where it is always parked out of the weather. However, if I am out on a camping trip, let 'er rain, I've got blue tarps to protect it when I am in the campground. The only leak that I have to contend with is the mickey-mouse 10 dollar piano hinge on the hatch lid. Very little water enters at each end of the hinge, so I simply toss a couple of towels in those areas while underway. No leaks at the windows or doors and the hatchlid overhangs the sides to prevent rain entry. I have found if you want a woody, you better be prepared to protect it from the elements and sand and finish it every year.
Roly :cry: ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves