Hello All

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello All

Postby conbrio » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Hey Everyone,

First saw a TD on the travel channel. Maybe on RV Crazy or something like that a while back. I saw the TD's featured on there and liked the idea. Well I ran across the show again the other day and it got me thinking about a TD again. Ran some searches and came here. Boy do I like this site.

Currently I am in TN about 45 mins northwest of Nashville in Clarksville. Married with 3 kids (4, 2, and 7 weeks). The wife and I both love camping, the kiddos love the out doors. Unfortunately we have yet to take the kids. Every time we start to plan a trip something comes up.

I will be mainly a lurker for a bit, until i decide to buy or build a TD (still a few years away at the moment due to trying to finishing school but you never know). Though I will pop in with a comment or a question every now and then. and since I am here I will blurt out my first question.

My wife hates to be confined or confined in a tight place. Being inside a TD give you that feeling of claustrophobia? Some day we will try and find a place that rents a TD (is there a place that does that) and try it out to see if a TD is for her. Thats about it for now.

ConBrio
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Welcome to the forum brio...

Lots of information, lots of friendly people here, and lots to like...

so hang around a while... ;)

Mike...

P.S. You'll want to get a digital camera if you don't already have one, cause we all like pics! :D
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Three things ~~~~~

#1 Welcome

#2 My build took 7 months and $900.00 That's $ 4.25 a day. Brown bag leftovers and just start tomorrow

#3 I am very claustraphobic too wants see how I solved the problem

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TD_Dodger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm

thats a nice job bob
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jason and Amanda » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Tear drops, even the smaller ones are very roomy on the inside. Your feet may get the confined feeling because the shelving units (if you have em) go over your feet on the interior but the head room is much bigger than what it appears to the eye by looking at the outside.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Pam Wright » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:30 pm

I too am claustraphobic..... but sleep better in the Tear than at home!!! I use one of those small round LED Touch lights, turned upside down on my shelf and the small glow it puts off opens up the inside of the tear. I also keep the window openpart way in the winter and all the way in the summer. Don't let it hold you guys back.... try to visit a gathering, Let you wife see how we have all individualized our and she'll get the fever too!!!

as said earlier.... it doesn't take a lot of $$$ to start on and you can add to it gradually... don't wait too long you'll miss out on a lot od camping!!!!

any ways... welcome to the forum!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm not claustrophobic myself, but whenever anyone looks at my Jewel Box , I invite them (yes, sometimes make them) lay down in it... Often people mention something about claustrophobia or being a large person , etc. ..... but once they lay down in it , it proves that you can do things to make it more comfortable.

That's another one of the beauty's of building or even partly building your own... you can make the roof taller, clear windows instead of dark ones will seem more open... definitely a roof vent.... maybe open cabinets inside or open shelves. Lots of little things make it seem roomier. EVERYONE thinks they are so small until they get inside!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Sam I am » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi, ConBrio!
My wife's concern about being claustrophobic in a teardrop influenced several design decisions in my build:
1. I built a 5' wide tear instead of the traditonal 4' wide. This also allowed us to use a standard double bed mattress we already had.
2. I made it 53" inches tall instead of 48", and used no internal ceiling. The exposed spars look like small beams in a log home.
3. I used one door, made as large as it could be and still be structurally practical, with a large (31"x23") window on the opposite side. It's also an emergency exit type that swings out to escape if you need to.
4. I made just a small cabinet on the foot end, which does not hang down anywhere near our feet, so there's no confining feel.
It all works well. She loves it! Check my build photos on Flickr.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am

Welcome to the forum, and hope you find the info you are looking for. With a family of 5, you better start thinking BIG. There are trailers that have sleeping room for that many, but it takes a bit of planning to accomplish it. 5 ft wide and longer than 8 ft will probably be required. 2 doors, roof vent, skylight and big windows will keep you from feeling closed in. Remember, most of our time at a campground is spent outside, so being confined to the interior hopefully won't be a problem. Good luck on your search, design and build. Ask questions, and take pics and post em.
Roly ;)
Last edited by Roly Nelson on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby conbrio » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Mike, as far as cameras and pictures go, I have plenty of both. 2 digital cameras, 5 slr cameras (one is a DSLR, 2 are auto 35mm film and the last 2 are manual 35mm film) and 2 medium format cameras (still have yet to use these as the film is a little pricey for me at the moment. To many other things that need my money first. And as far as pictures go I have taken enough photos to fill up 20 gigs of hard drive space in the last 4 years. Just none of those include a TD (Yet).

Also ty for the advice and comments on the claustrophobia, hopefully the wife will feel the same as those with the same issue. Bob I love the window.

Well that is about it for now. Now back to my regularly scheduled lurking

ConBrio
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 pm

ImageConBrio and family. There are lots of ways to get around the kidlets and claustrophobia. My hubby is not real fond of being closed in so I made ours bigger. He is also doesn't want anyone looking in so I put a dark window with curtains. It is bigger and he loves it.

When it comes time just ask. I promise we can keep you planning for a few years if need be. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves