SoCal Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

SoCal Newbie

Postby chrlshrdy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:37 am

Greetings everyone. I got hooked on TDs after my roommate and I saw a show on the Travel channel yesterday called RV Crazy. There were some really UGLY RVs on that show, but when they showed the TDs I instantly fell in love. I have a vintage streak in me about 5 miles wide, and when I saw the TDs I thought to my self, "Ok. I build one of those, and then I build the hot rod to pull it!" I then did a bunch of internet searches on them and came up with this forum. I took a look at a bunch of the posts and the categories and decided to join. Hopefully I will be able to start building my own here soon.
chrlshrdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 am

Welcome "Chris" ( I think ) to the forum. Their have been several that have seen the "RV Crazy" and was bitten by the bug. Depending the part of SoCal you are from there are several members in your area.

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chrlshrdy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 am

Close on the name, it's actually Charles. I'm way down south in San Diego. The very first thing I need to get worked out though is get my car up and running again. No way to get the supplies for my tear without it...
chrlshrdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:23 am

Good luck Charles on your build. Yes I agree that a tow vehicle to get parts is a upmost important thing to do. Have fun on your build.

;)

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bristol Delica » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:48 am

Hi Chris, welcome to your latest obsession :lol:

I'm an ex-SD man myself , grew up in Imperial Beach but now live in the UK.

IanJ

He who dies with the most toys, wins!
Bristol Delica
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 am

Charles,

Welcome to the forum. You have taken the first step to being a teardropaholic! I mean that in a good way. As you gather ideas, you might want to visit one of the local rallys held in So. Cal to see trailers up close. The next upcoming rally will be in September, Spamboree in September. Visit on a Saturday when everyone opens their trailers for open house. Heck, why not participate by going camping at the event.

http://www.theshortshorttrailer.com

Ladies and Gentleman, TearDroppers and Campers of all ages, The Short, Short Trailer proudly presents, The ninth Teardrop Spamboree!! Will be held at Woods Valley Kampground in Valley Center, CA. September 26-28, 2008.

There is another good one held in March by the Southern California Touring Tears. There are over 130 teardrops there. http://www.teardroptours.com/

There are a number of websites with calendar of events, and here is one that I check regularly for California events:
http://www.vintagetrailercamp.com/

You can also tour my photo album with a few events that I have been to. If you do go to one of the local rallys, and see me, say hi.

http://vintagtrailer.uyeda.net
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 am

Welcome to the forum, Charles. Your search is over. Now you have found the friendliest and most helpful site on the web. Good for you, wanting to build your own teardrop. Do look into the various areas we have available here on the board. Lots of info for the new builder and do ask any questions regarding your project.

In the meantime, get your transportation problems solved, head north on the I-15 for about an hour and swing on by and we can talk and explore teardrops. I have two, going on three. The coffee is always on here in Wildomar. Good luck on your build.
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Dean_A » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am

Hey! Another San Diegan!
Welcome Charles, and good luck with your build.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Image to the playground Charles. You will find a couple of Teardroppers in San Diego. Have a good look around and make a plan. Then get to making sawdust and :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :hammer: Keeps the bubble oil level and the madOnes happy. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby chrlshrdy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 pm

That you all for your more than warm welcome. I am beginning to feel right at home here. On the good side, once I get my tow vehicle fixed I will not need to buy a pre-built trailer because I have a good friend who is a custom metal fabricator and I doubt he would have a problem either teaching me to weld the frame, or for a sixer of good beer, welding it up for me.
chrlshrdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Welcome aboard! Think about how you camp and make a list of items that you really want in your tear, check the Hall of Fame and the Galley Gallery to see how others might have incorporated those items. Also look at different profiles and if there isn't anything that really strikes you, don't be afraid to cook up your own idea. Most importantly, build what you want and have fun with your build. Looking forward to following what you do, there are no right or wrong design ideas....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TD_Dodger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:36 pm

WELCOME CHARLES NICE TO HAVE YOU, IM A NEWBIE AS WELL, CHECK OUT SOME OF MY PHOTOS IN MY ABLUM SO YOU CAN SEEE WHAT I AM IN FOR.LOL ANYWAYS FROM ONE SOCALY TO ANOTHER WELCOME ABOARD
TD_Dodger
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chrlshrdy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

doug hodder wrote:Welcome aboard! Think about how you camp and make a list of items that you really want in your tear....Doug

There is only one problem with that... In the past 3 years the only camping I have done is SCA camping so the things I would want in my tear would be radically different from how I normally camp.
chrlshrdy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Charles ~ :)

Look forward to seeing your build.
San Diego country is a good base for TearDrop travel.
Ask questions at will and many a friendly member will respond, usually with alacrity.

Steve
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves