logistics of gathering question

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

logistics of gathering question

Postby rad1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:18 am

I was wondering how gathers work. Do folks just decide to meet somewhere, and there are a bunch of teardroppers there, or is it somehow more formal? I'm not trying to start a thead about etiquette, but just asking with an example I came across that made me curious/kind of concerned, the only reason I'm making the reference is because it is the example that made me ask the question, NOT as a launching point for folks to tell each other what makes up good manners. I came across someone who said the following:

"I don't have a problem with people enjoying a cold beverage or two as long as the stay in control."
wondering, if someone did have a problem with this (or someone having a hotdog or two) would it be for them to tell others of some 'rule' at a gathering, or is it just the rules of the grounds, and having good manners (again, don't need good manners explained, and anyone who is old enough to drive that does not have good manners never will, so waste of breath to do it anyway) I'm just wondering who decides 'rules', how are they communicated, and are there any that are not self-evident based on common sense?
Last edited by rad1 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
rad1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 am

rad, we all like to have a good time...that should be tempered by GOOD MANNERS AND COMMON COURTESY...we are not a bunch of spring breakers but rather, we are responsible adults and responsible campers...while many of us do imbibe and many gatherings have adult themes(beach parties, marguerita parties)...you are expected to maintain control and not become an obnoxious drunk...at the gatherings I have attended and at the ones I have heard about, there has only been one serious incident and that resulted in the "gathering etiquette" thread...in the words of a famous artist...BE NICE OR LEAVE...simple enough!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rad1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:23 am

thanks MadJack, what I was really wondering was how does a gathering work. Do folks just decide to meet somewhere, and there are a bunch of teardroppers there, or is it somehow more formal? Is it just the rules of the grounds, and having good manners and behaving responsibly, or if not who decides 'rules', how are they communicated, and are there any that are not self-evident (based on common sense)?
rad1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 am

...someone decides on a spot and announces it...a bit of discussion ensues on dates and such, then someone grabs the bull by the horns and does the legwork, which usually involves contacting the campground about availability and keeps up with who is coming and what is being cooked up for Saturday night supper..some gatherings are more formally organized, some not...some examples...for the LCG at the end of Oct, which has turned into the largest gathering in the SouthCentral area...it was my birthday, so I decided to go camping at Lake Bistineau SP...I announced it and 200 of my "closest" friends showed up...it is a very informal affair with no real "events"...we(my crew and I) cook supper for everyone on Fri and we have a potluck on Sat..that's about it...the IRG, is organized by Dean and Joannie(and friends), they have "events"...horseshoes, a pinewood derby this year and other things...the North V South gathering in VA this summer is similar but put on/organized by the various East coast chapters of the TearJerker organization...so there is no hard and fast rules, other than having a good and (semi)responsible time...I can't speak for other organizers but I want to be able to return to the same place and try and keep the Park people happy, to that effect, we go over the campground and police up the sites after everyone has left and I am happy to say that there rarely is anything that needs to be done...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rad1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks buddy, that's more what I was looking for.
rad1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 am

One of the things I do as a TearJerkers Director in choosing a spot to hold a gathering is. Post a Poll very early.

http://tearjerkers.net/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

And see who's interested with a rough area and time suggested.

Then draw some circles on a map..100 miles, 150 miles, 200 miles and so forth.

A campground should be near a main highway (10-20 miles) and if were choosing a State Park it can't be to popular so people can make, and get reservations 2-3 months in advance (not a year), so as to not have the park full by then.

That being done, if the event is not a reoccurring event we post another poll to choose a date.

Making sure the dates do not conflict with any other organizations or other TearJerkers Chapters events,

Based on the polls choose an optimum date and location. Create another post announcing it with all the information and keep tabs on how many people are coming, what sites are taken and what sites are still available. Updating it periodically.

I have thrown 25+ gatherings since 2000 and have never had anyone get out of control. Nor do I think this has ever happened at any of the other 70 TearJerkers Gatherings.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:39 am

Len,

Just so ya know - Links to the TJ site do not work because you have to be logged in on the TJ site to see anything. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves