Howdy from Lancaster, PA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from Lancaster, PA

Postby scottyp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 am

Hey there guys, noobie here from Lancaster, PA , I've been floating around the forum checking out the place for a few weeks now finally decided to join. I'm looking to start a tear/ttt project sometime in the fall/next year sometime. I have little to no carpentry skills and no electrical or welding skills, sounds like a good idea to start this project huh? :twisted:

Anyway, I'll be learning along the entire time, I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I could use ALL the help I could get on this project from you folks so I'll be calling on your help the entire way. This is what I have in mind

Tear/TTT (haven't decided on which one)
4/8 trailer
NEEDS to weigh less than 800lbs (I'll be towing with a Suzuki SX4 which isn't even rated in the US to tow but tows in Europe at 850)
Needs to be able to fit me, I'm 6'2" 195lbs

so aside from lightweight and durable I need this thing to be able to fit me, and my gf and that's about all I have, I'd like a galley of some sort but probably going to be minimal (due to weight needs), I'd also love to install solar panels on the roof to make it more self sufficient. I'll be using this on trips to the Smokey Mountains and probably many trips out to the Southwest and the South.... OPINIONS PLEASE? Not sure if anyone has any basic plans that would fit those specs?
scottyp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 am

While I am a fair hand at carpentry and electrics I had never built such a contraption before either. wadded in with no plans and no preconceived ideas and the fun began. Just jump in and dog paddle there are 7400+ of us on this forum and somebody will be able to answer that question what ever it is. So Welcome !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:21 am

bobhenry wrote:While I am a fair hand at carpentry and electrics I had never built such a contraption before either. wadded in with no plans and no preconceived ideas and the fun began.

Plans?? We don't need no stinking plans!!! :thinking: Just design on the fly, it's more fun that way. And take lots of pics!!! :snappy:

But if you really need something to work from, the Generic Benroy plans at the top of the page should fit the bill. It can be made 4' wide, just as easily as 5'.
Mine's not a Benroy, and it's not done yet; but I'm using a lot of information and techniques from those plans. Oh yeah, and asking lots of questions in the forums too.

Mine's designed and built for 1 person (6 foot 180 pounds) so it's a little smaller than what you need. At the point I'm at in the build, I can still lift the tongue with one hand and no effort! :applause:
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:31 am

Scotty,

Welcome to the forum. I am over in the York area (Manchester). So, if you want to see my tear just PM me and we can make some arrangements.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Lgboro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:22 pm

You might want to check out the Generic Benroy Plans link at the top of the

page for starters. Even with a plan you'll probably find you will make many

changes to make it your own plan. You will find this bunch of tear enthusiasts

will guide you through the process and answer any questions you can come

up with (many have been asked repeatedly and still either a link or new

answer are usually offered). Hope you have a good time and a successful

build.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Image to the playground Scotty. I guess I won't say "beam me up cause......." 8) :lol: I am sure we can help you since I managed with a lot of reading to build mine. It certainly is a learning experience.

The key is to take lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: to keep the bubble oil level and the MadOnes happy. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Robin Bobula » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi, Scotty,

Welcome from another newbie from PA -- I live in York right now, and like you, don't have a bunch of experience. But folks on this forum are very helpful, so don't ever be afraid to ask.

Just met Kerry and his wife and saw their teardrop this past weekend -- they are great, and their teardrop is awesome! You should see it if you get the chance. It will definitely inspire you.

:)

Robin
Robin Bobula
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey Scotty,

Welcome to the forum.

Since you don't have any experience, I'd say read the Generic Benroy Plans up there in the menu. Also check out the weekender page here:
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender

The weekender, or a curved version of it would handle your height without a problem. Just plan on parking your feet under the galley counter.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Rarin2go » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Welcome to the forum,
Plenty of help is available right here.
Benroy model is the way to go.
Living today and planning for tomorrow.
TnT in Tennessee.
Rarin2go
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves