So you think you want a tear????

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

So you think you want a tear????

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:42 am

I know......there are a bunch of you "lurking" and just reading...well, that's fine...but all the info is here for anyone to just jump in and get building/ restoring etc. Plans....we don't need no "stinkin plans" but if you do....there are free ones!.

This group of teardroppers and tiny trailer people are probably going to be one of the best group of people that you will ever have the opportunity to learn from and camp with.

There are free plans and lots of profiles to rob ideas from, tons of construction tips/ techniques to use....and it's all free!!!! Now is the time to get off the pot and begin your project, especially since it's fall and you can have it done for the spring!

If you are uncertain on whether or not this type of camping is for you, check with some of the regional groups that are having gatherings and attend them. Check the threads of photos of gatherings. Nobody will squawk if you are in a tent, or in anything else for camping. I'd be willing to bet that you will end up making a ton of new friends, get a load of ideas, and be well fed....

Read...use the search function, develop your ideas...hey...there is no right or wrong, use your imagination, just make sure it's a safely built project and follows the DOT rules.

Ask questions....we've all gone through it, so don't feel stupid on asking something.

Most importantly....you aren't going to get to your goal if you don't take the first step and begin. We're all in this together....whether it be restored, patched up, or new builds.....but you gotta start somewhere.

Here's hoping to see a lot more of you out in the woods....build what you want, enjoy what you build! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:11 am

Hey Doug,
Well said Doug, that's how it started with me....lurking..building...Enjoying. I've made four Tearjerker's gatherings in Tn, Va.,Nc., and Ky., this year. Teardropper's are a unique group of individuals and have lots...TONS..of fun while camping together. :applause: Sooooo, get started on your builds and lets see more on the road....that way we may have people leave us alone to gas up and be on our way without the 10 cent tour of our "Cute little campers". NOT!!!!!!! We actually love showing off our builds and YOU WILL TOO!!!!
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

"I" started out by just WANTING a teardop to tow behind my vintage VW beetle. I looked far and wide and finally found one that needed to be "rebuilt" and bought it. ( That's the only way I could afford one )

I love campin and a teardrop seemed the BEST way to do that fer an old codger like me.

Then ...I heard about the SCTT Gathering near my home and was determined to go see all these teardrops...

WARNING : It is an addiction !!! There is NO known CURE !!! You WILL make MORE friends than you ever had...and you'll LIKE em !!

I have met MORE incredible people in THIS community than ANY other activity..and I've done PLENTY of activities.

Doug, you kept it short and to the point..."I" must have a genetic defect.. LOL !

HAPPY TRAILS , Robert
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

newbie in United Kingdom

Postby mrstarmacscratcher » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:07 pm

after lurking on here for a few months, and a disastrous camping trip (lost the tent in a gale! :shock:) i have decided that a teardrop is the way forward for towing behind our cobra kit car :)

am planning on new build on a donor caravan / trailer chassis... but being as i can't even saw a piece of wood, it's gonna be a long haul to the finished product. the other half will be happy, it'll get me away from the telly and keep me out of trouble!!! :lol:

prepare yourselves for a *lot* of very stupid questions!!!!
mrstarmacscratcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm certain that I speak fer us all when I say... There are NO stupid questions !

We are here to be helpful, so ask away !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mrstarmacscratcher » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:36 pm

oh, believe me, i can't saw a piece of wood, so there *will* be a lot of dumbass questions :oops:

my first stop tomorrow morning is a shop so that i can buy some graph paper and work out what i want and where i want to put it!

i don't think it will be a standard teardrop, as one of the things i hate about camping is having to get up in the night to pee! i would also quite like the small kitchen area to be accessible from the inside, as british weather isn't quite so consistent as you lucky buggers in sunny california :)

then i need to find me a donor chassis so that i know what dimensions i will be working on. and i guess then i'll be getting me some happy time with a hammer and whatnot! i'm figuring that it's a little more complicated than that :thinking: but that is the basic plan so far... :)
mrstarmacscratcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Yup.. the "usual" starting place.. a "general" design.

It WILL change... and prolly MANY times before yer finished.

Sounds like you'll have a "standy" with the interior kitchen and port a potty.

You will amaze yerself at what ya can DO when ya put yer mind to it...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: So you think you want a tear????

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:41 pm

I got started by saying I could build what I wanted and far cheaper than the build featured in a Popular Mechanics article.
Turns out I don't know what mine cost. I didn't keep records. Seemed to be part of the fun to "Just Do It." I used the project to move from a long time marriage to the single life. It was a great distraction and more fun than I could have imagined. Feeling lonely and want to talk with people; pull it out of the garage and wait a little while. Odds are you'll be explaining how to bend plywood in a little while.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby SwampFox4Christ » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:43 am

Howdy All

I'm looking to build a teardrop, to live in full time. With any luck I'll be able to make more than one :thinking:

I think aluminum looks good, and will probably wear better for the type of torture I will undoubtedly put it through. I don't plan on making my first one off-road capable, but who knows? Will probably change things up a bit more often than not. Hmmm, I'm from S.E. Louisiana, but drive all over the country, Alaska, Canada, and before the crime rate shot up Mexico. So I know I'd like to have extra fuel and water tanks incorporated in/out of it.

That's my intro, if you'd like to know more about me, feel free to ask, I'm good for long-winded conversation when I'm online, but be warned, you might get a book instead of a reply, lol.
SwampFox4Christ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AmyJ » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 am

I am a newbie, this is my first post. I have wanted a teardrop since the first time I saw one. We (my husband of 4 months) have acquired (for free) an unusable pop-up camper that we "think" we can tear apart and *hopefully* build a teardrop. We just don't want to bite off more than we can chew, so to speak, or break the bank. All advice is welcome.
AmyJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 am

Welcome! You're doing the right thing. Define your project, but be ready to change your mind as you find out more. Basic decisions about width and profile are first. Is there anything you can use from the other trailer. Clean, inspect and repack the wheel bearings!
We built the walls horizontally installing all the insulation and wiring before standing the walls on the floor. Just an idea.
Whenever we came to a big decision; we would see what others had done. Take lots of pictures. Make it fun. Good Luck!
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby BobBash » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Ok , I'm a newbie & have been bit by the bug . I'm in the gathering stage . I live in southern coastal Maine & I'm not sure if there are many " Teardrop " enthusiast's up this way or not .I have not even seen a teardrop up close & personal yet . I look forward to asking many questions & if I can figure how , to post some pics as I get going .
Well , just wanted to say Hey & introduce myself .

BobBash
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lastboyscout02 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Hello this will be my first project of the sort, it's a little different I want to use my Goldwing to tow it. I have been looking at alot of teardrops lately and I like the way the reversed teardrop looks, I would also like to know if anyone knows of any advantages or disadvantages of this design? I have been enjoying this site so far and I would like to thank everyone for sharing I really enjoy learning and listening to past builds and any tid bits or tricks that I can pick up before I start my project which will probably be this weekend. There I said it, If I don't give myself a deadline it will never get done. Thanks in advance for all the support! LBS :)
lastboyscout02
Teardrop Inspector

Postby satch » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Here, here, Dougie. Again your wisdom is awesome :D
This forum is a treasure of info for ANYBODY to use to build. It sure helped me
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I've been researching for a while since I saw some tears on Tv. Thought it would solve our camping problem of having a 1200lb towing max on our HHR and not having enough room to pack everything with the kids. I'm always building things but this will be the biggest by far. Can't wait to start and I love the way yall just wing it with no plans. I like to plan as I go and that's how I make some very innovative projects. I have to keep it cheap as I am an E-3 right now but I am rich in craftsmanship. I will probably buy the trailer from HF or TS next month or so. Looking forward to building with so much experience along side of me.

Randy
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves