So you think you want a tear????

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: So you think you want a tear????

Postby tcb » Fri May 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm at least a little ways out from starting on a trailer. But I'm going to keep my eyes open for the right deal on one.
tcb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby seniorsgt » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am

bee lurking since november . unemployed but old enough to retired so jump in with both feet last week and ended up with a garage full of plywood and pink insulation. going to start out cubby/modernistic wii see how it turns out. i love to flyfish so hope it gets me to some of those places ive wanted to see. plan to use 3 seasons possibly all 4. i'm in the up of michigan and something arent available or they are every expensive, like the roof aluminum would run me over $600 any ideals for an alternative roofwould be considered. i thought about epoxy and glass for now add aluminum next year. i have gotten many ideals from the build journals if i used or will useone of yours thank you
seniorsgt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardrop_focus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am

seniorsgt

...i'm in the up of michigan and something arent available or they are every expensive, like the roof aluminum would run me over $600 any ideals for an alternative roofwould be considered.

Welcome.

Alum sheet can often be purchased by the foot from such places as 18-wheel-truck trailer repair shops. $600 is excessive!

Also, whenever my build plans' pondering spirals yet again away, off on some wild tangent (so much fun!) I remember that the first teardrop trailers' cabin bodies were constucted entirely from plywood. Simple. That was then covered in "leatherette" (auto top or boat upholstry vinyl) or +/- .030"-ish aluminum sheet.

I gotta remember to keep. it. simple.

Good luck on your builds, all of you!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby raskazone » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:32 am

now then folks . a repley from the uk why build a t d because you can its that simples , its not starting its the finishing that counts.i know here it all the time ,but just look in ebay unfinished projects! then take a look on here plps starting and the finish brill keep it you lot. cheers now dave .
the first price i gave you did not include the labour
raskazone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonnybrn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 am

thinking of a teardrop trying to keep it simple but i keep adding stuff!!!!
wondering what material to either build the trailer portion or to buy a trailer built all the trailers seem to be utility trailers with angle iron
wondering if that is sufficient
also wondering about axles...torsion or shackle spring type
i know i would need the trailer first as i am only in a car so i would need to transport the wood and metal via trailer to home
anyone ever wed the tractor supply trailers? im more partial to welded rather than bolt together
thanks
jonnybrn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

If you're wanting to keep it simple (and low cost) you just can't beat the Harbor Freight. I wish I had used one.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bpinson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Ok, I'll bite. I stumbled on to this site the other day and am gonna build a small tear for hunting. The info is overwhelming. You guys must be really bored, but hey keep it coming.
Bpinson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bpinson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I have decided to build a small weekender style , (4x8) and mount it on a small utility trailer so I can remove it when not needed. Next year, hopefully I will build another that is bigger with more amenities. For now, I will keep it simple like a cool ice chest.
Bpinson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dudek7thheaven » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 pm

We've had our tear drop for over a month now, and had the fortune to attend the Tear Jerkers So Cal Chapter Event at Lake Skinner in October. It was wonderful. The people -- fantastic and so nice and helpful. The kids were a hoot, the potluck was yummy. The Teardrop trailers were impressive. It made us wanting more, more, more!! We were the new kids on the block, but felt like we had known this group of people for years! Camping is much more fun when you have an icebreaker like a teardrop. Wanted to attend the Buckskin event, but looks to be sold out.... we will look for cancellations but will gear up for the events next year.... Lake Perris here we come.

Check Tear Jerkers So Cal Chapter facebook page and Lake Skinner event photos. :D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370182739727205.87860.345688718843274&type=1

Here is our first project: http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2737
dudek7thheaven
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhav » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 am

Hi,

I'm a 'Newb too. I've been scanning the forum now for several weeks and have finally joined. I'm retired, my wife of 39 years has not. I haven't decided to whether to buy, build, or repair. We are still gathering info. There are several camper friendly places that we travel to each year and sleeping on the ground is no longer appealing to us. I hope to have a teardrop to tow to the Indiana event next year. I've have been eyeing the Nano Weekender thread.

BobH.
Cental Illinois
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum.
What ever route you decide to take, camping is fun and a good way for us young retired folk to go out and see the country.
We have just completed our build and I have unofficially retired........but my wife Sandi is still working to feed us.
But, we are really looking forward to next camping season to get our new teardrop out and get on with the new life ahead of us.
Hope to see you folks out there too!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tealsea » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes, I do! :R But it looks like this thread is for builders. I'm not doing that. I want to chat with others who live in them on the road.
tealsea
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:15 pm

tealsea wrote:Yes, I do! :R But it looks like this thread is for builders. I'm not doing that. I want to chat with others who live in them on the road.

You mean full time? or part time?

Would you live in campgrounds? or on private property? Maybe Quartzsite?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm building one (I know, I've promised pics forever) but I would also like to chat with folks who live in them on the road. Where is a good place to do that?

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby vs800rider » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:55 am

Hello everyone. Newbie from Okla here. Been lurking for a while and decided I would join so I could pick your brains for good ideas on how to build a scaled down TD that can be pulled behind a mid-size (800cc) motorcycle. :shock: I realize this is going to be a real challenge but from reading what all of you have done we should be able to do this. :applause: Anyway, wish me luck. I'll start a thread sometime soon with all the little details about what I see as a safe and comfortable TD behind my bike. :)
vs800rider
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves