New Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Newbie

Postby square shooter » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 am

Howdy. I'm new at this tearing up (so that's it's name). Mine is a shell that is set on/off a flatbed 5'x8' trailer. Frame of 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" redwood n pine, skin of 1/4" ply. Will include pic when learn how. Just picture somebody crying over a flatbed trailer.... Square Shooter. :lol:
Last edited by square shooter on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
square shooter
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Newbie

Postby cjkrause » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:40 am

Welcome aboard
cant wait to see pics
Son's Memorial Webpage- http://www.mem.com/ContentDisplay.aspx?ID=9309868

CJs Performance- Trifecta Tuning Dealer since July 2006. Oldest and most active dealer for Vince to this day
Click here for- http://cjsperformance.com/]CJs Performance and Original Texas Headskins

cjkrause
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:51 am

square shooter also has this question:

square shooter wrote:I have looked online, and not fond an answer. I am designing and building a lightweight trailer of around 120 lbs. overall sprung weight. I am hoping you can help. The springs are leaf type. The distance between the eye and slider nylon is 21". The axel travel will be 3". What should be the weight requirement to deflect each spring 1" ? 60 lbs? Do you know of anyone who's built such light rate leaf springs?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby square shooter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:10 pm

I learned the answer to my above question, and finnished the two springs. They work fine. So yes, if the sprung weight of a trailer, including the load, is 120 lbs, each of two springs should flex around 1" with 60 lbs pressure/weight. Further, my springs came in at a bit more than 1" flex at 60 lost (are slightly soft), so the springs are flexed about 1/2" at standstill. So a spring is more useful if it rates slightly more than its intended total load, rather than under, the load increasing as the tire encounters bumps. :)
square shooter
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves