Feedback on my idea for a lowcost trailer build

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Feedback on my idea for a lowcost trailer build

Postby Dan242 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:39 am

Hi, Wife and I been tent camping for a while, looking for a step up, not ready to go RV yet. I got the HR trailer for 250.00 hoping to spend about 300 more on everything. I already have solar cells, batteries, lights, and bunch of 2x4's and other misc hardware
I bought a HF 4 x 8 trailer, flipped the axle with stronger ubolts. to lower it. My tow car is lowered already

I was able to extend and strengthen my tongue with an old boat tongue, It's 2 x 3 box with a welded receiver on the end flipped the stock receiver mount over and notched, drilled and bolted them together, was also able to bolt the back to 2 crossbars of the trailer. I feel comfortable with it and it gives me about 18" longer tongue

Plans are to build a 2x4 frame which will notch around tops of tires and give me 9 foot length and 55" width, WIll have a cutout over the tires with the original fender covering the exposed part .then flooring on that. WIll make a section or two of the floor lift up for some storage below, will go down 6-8" or so. After looking at all the tear drops and foamies, I decided to go simple box shape with a angle on the front. I am not needing extra insulation so just going for plywood walls for now,
All I really want is a place to crash at night and some storage. I have a couple of Solar vent fans I can put in the roof. I have about 50-60 watts of solar panels and several AGM batteries. I will have LED lights inside and out for lighting and decoration. I will be able to attach an awning off the side for shade and seats. I will put a 5000 btu AC unit in either back or front depending on how weight distribution falls out Walls will be approx 1/2 ply, with stiffeners glued on outside if needed. flat triangles 1/2" thick glued into corners and 3/4 " for front and rear walls to stiffen it up. I plan on glueing all joints and 2x4 crossbars at a few key locations.
As it comes together I will know what it needs. I work better in real time than from plans

Not worried about extreme temps, but the foam ideas are intriguing as well as canvassing. I want to make this simple enough to actually finish in a few months, but durable and possibly upgradeable later. Canvassing the outside sounds promising, but haven't learned enough yet to consider it seriously,
My goals are comfortable bed (54" x 72") storage for most of our gear, electric lights with a switch and a phone /USB charger, solar fans and a battery fan for night with a small bank of batteries , couple of windows that open with screening. Place to attach awnings to outside and then a couple of poles. I have a 5 gallon jerry can for water and 1 for fuel, may mount them on outside to fix weight distribution..........
Crude paint drawing to show the basics. Bottom right is my crude attempt to devise a bell crank to mount a shock horizontally under the bed and dampen the bounciness I can do basic welding and different holes in the bell crank will change the ratios on the shock

We currently go camping for up to a week at a time, with just a tent and what we bring in the station wagon. We will have an enclosed awning to set up our Kitchen in, Not planning on cooking in this camper
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Good plan. Let the sawdust fly!

Postby ChasCABQ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm

You're on your way. I am finishing my teardrop and benefitted from a local builder from this forum who lives a few miles from me. I'd suggest you consider 3/4" thick marine plywood. It's a little pricer but has a better finish and resists moisture from the start and the thicker ply doesn't add much weight but gives you more material for screws.

Also consider getting a Kreg pocket screw jig. Pocket screws and glue really provide a tight bond at corners, etc. I attached all my roof spars with them.

Lastly consider spending a little more to get better quality wood someplace beside the big boxes. Let the sawdust fly!
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Re: Feedback on my idea for a lowcost trailer build

Postby Dan242 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:04 pm

As with many things in life, Trailer went into the backyard while other projects got priority.

Will be pulling trailer into garage soon to resume. I got some constructive feedback on my extended tongue design, so fixing that and then back to work.
Footprint will be 5x9. After mulling over door locations, I think for us , a door on back wall will work best . So not a traditional tear shape. More of a Box with a sloped front end. I think my initial thoughts of 2x4 frame is probably overkill, Foam is looking more attractive after reading lots of threads on it.
Are there any threads on aerodynamic considerations of various shapes? I know sometimes subtle changes can reap big aero benefits. I will be pulling with a sedan, so no big hole being punched in front of the rig. I am going for the really basic rig, just a step or two up from a tent for this build.
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Re: Feedback on my idea for a lowcost trailer build

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi Dan welcome aboard. All 3 of my teardrops are built from pine lumber and laun plywood from big box stores. So far no problems. Regarding aerodynamics, unless you plan on strapping your rig atop a space rocket, the disturbed air behind your hauler, will make little difference no matter what shape your trailer is. I have rounded, squared off and absolutely jet plane shapes on my tears and they all pull and track the same. However, to each his own. Good luck on your build, then enjoy the fruits of your labor.
:D 8) :lol: :thinking: Roly, the So Calif woody guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves