Hello from NE Oklahoma

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from NE Oklahoma

Postby Old Rookie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:19 pm

We are new to teardrop camping. We had a 5th wheel until we retired and moved to the lake. Figured we wouldn't be doing any camping. so we sold it. We took a 28 day, 8 state, road trip through the northwest last summer. After spending a minimum of $100+ a night for a hotel, we figured that maybe we ought to consider other options. We figured that our Honda CRV couldn't pull a travel trailer, and my old truck could pull one but the cost of gas would be prohibitive. We heard about teardrop trailers that could be pulled by small cars, so we started looking into teardrops about a month ago. That was our first mistake! :thinking: I mean, we got the bug almost immediately. We just ordered our new custom 5X8 OK Schooners Teardrop yesterday. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hit the road with our new home on wheels. And I'm looking forward to getting to know some of your members and absorbing as much as possible from all the Teardroppers here on your forum.

Are there many fellow OKIES here?

Last edited by Old Rookie on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Re: Hello from NE Oklahoma

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Welcome Ken and Ruth. That's a nice looking Teardrop you have purchased, I like the lines of it.
Not an Okie by birth....only in description by my wife. Had an uncle in Norman Oklahoma but he has passed on, He loved the Oklahoma living.

Enjoy the new Teardrop..........Larry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Welcome. I've lived in Oklahoma many years and have to say I have seen very few TD's in our state. I always get a lot of attention when we take ours out. I'm planning on retiring soon and hitting the road with the camper a lot more often, so hope to see you around some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Nice teardrop! If you haven't already, check out the South Central section. There is a big gathering next week at Beavers Bend State Park near Broken Bow. I believe there still may be sites available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Old Rookie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Tom & Linda, wish we could make it but we are probably 4 or 5 weeks away from getting our new teardrop. We just order it yesterday. Will have to stay in touch for future gatherings.
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Welcome Ken & Ruth
We have not been to Oklahoma yet, but I am sure we will make it there some day soon.
But, if you ever think you want to visit Beautiful British Columbia with your new Teardrop, we have Free Teardrop Camping here at the Farm.
And if you are looking for another month long journey of a lifetime that (that will include 3 official Gatherings) in September. You might want to look into our 2016 Fall Crawl. It is an experience you will never forget, and a chance to meet some wonderful Teardrop Folks! :thinking:
Welcome to the Teardrop Family! :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Old Rookie wrote:Tom & Linda, wish we could make it but we are probably 4 or 5 weeks away from getting our new teardrop. We just order it yesterday. Will have to stay in touch for future gatherings.

Come on down anyway! We visited several times before completing our teardrop.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Old Rookie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 pm

:D

FINALLY!
Picked up our new and 1st new teardrop today!! It's a 5 X 8 OK Schooner....

New TD.JPG
Let the camping begin........
New TD.JPG (689.78 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Your teardrop looks beautiful. Here's to happy camping! Be sure to sign up for the Beavers Bend outing in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Old Rookie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Well, we took our first trip, Wednesday, to Lake Tenkiller in NE Oklahoma. Beautiful! HOT!! That's the good. The BAD? Everything that could go wrong, DID. First, the electrical was wired wrong and would throw the campsite breaker when plugged in. I had to turn off the main breaker before it wouldn't throw the campsite breaker. Everything worked except the outside electrical outlets, which when I touched them I got shocked. I called them and he drove to the lake to fix the problem. Nice of him. BUT he couldn't fix it. Said, "Bring it in and I'll take care of it. It's ok to go ahead and use it." So we decided to stay and make the best of a bad situation. BUT, the A/C made the galley so hot that you couldn't use it. Ruth picked up a garlic press out of one of the cabinets and it burned her hand. I accidentally spilled a cup of coffee on the galley counter and it went under the trim and ran down onto the mattress. Ruth was putting her clothes in on of the interior cabinets and snagged her undies on the edge because it was so rough. Got to checking and all the wood on the cabinets, walls and door openings were so rough that it would snag your hands. You could see light between the passenger side door and the opening, and the passenger side wall and the galley wall. The screen had come lose on one of the door windows. The trim work was very sloppy, with gaps everywhere and had used 2 pcs of trim in places that one pcs should had been used, so you had a joint in the middle of a run. Where there was diamond plate trim across the bottom exterior, there was a 1/16" gap between the wall and the trim, with no seal of any kind. The doors had to be slammed in order to catch. When we got home the next day, the A/C had leaked all over the mattress. :x

Ok, so you're probably saying; "Didn't you check it over when you picked it up?" Obviously not enough. After seeing the unit that he had when we first looked at his units, I had every reason to believe that his workmanship was not a question. LESSON LEARNED. Needless to say, I am returning the trailer on Monday and hoping for a full refund. Wish me luck.. :worship:
Last edited by Old Rookie on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Good luck Monday. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:26 am

sorry for your bad luck let us know the outcome of this
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Old Rookie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am

:) Talked to the owner of OK Schooners this morning and he agreed to refund our money. He was extremely pleasant and understanding. He excepted all responsibility. :worship: God is good!

Now we start over in our search for a teardrop.
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 pm

Glad, It did not sour you on Teardrop camping.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves