Hello from Mooresville IN!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Mooresville IN!

Postby 19Ford95 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 pm

My name is Dakotah and i am in the middle of my my first build. I plan on attending the Lincoln state park get together in may. I am 3 weeks into my build getting ready to skin it. I'm thinking monstaliner bed liner, but i am not sure how much i need! Anyways, any suggestions and so forth would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dakotah
19Ford95
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Mooresville IN!

Postby pchast » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Welcome. Do you have pictures and or drawings of what
you are doing?

:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Brushy_Bill » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Greetings, I am from Spencer, just down the road.
Get some photos of your build posted up.
Would love to see it. Getting ready to start a build
myself.
Thanks for posting.
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 19Ford95 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am

This is where i'm at today! Gonna be working on the hatch and the inside cubby hole today! (The last one is just showing a bit of the inside so far.) :)
19Ford95
Teardrop Inspector

Postby planewoodworker » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Dakotah,

I used Monstaliner on my build and can tell you how much I used. My build is 5'x5'x10' minus the curved areas, as mine is a Grumman(sort of). The total square area is 163 square feet. I was hesitant to start with only 2 gallons. According to another builder on this site and also the info I got from Magnet Paints (Monstaliner), 2 gallons was cutting it to close. I ordered 3 gals and had some left over but probably less than half a gallon. If your surface area is less than mine it may be possible to get by with 2 gallons. I think Monstraliner is great. I would use it again. The one negative is the cost and the fact that there is no way to save the extra. After mixing, it has to be used. Measuring and mixing part of a gallon is a bit tricky. I wouldn't do it with anything other than a half a gallon. Easy enough to divide the two parts exactly in half, any other division and you are asking for trouble. Even if you only mix part of a gallon I don't believe the unused part stores for very long after you have opened the cans.

You have not mentioned if you are fiberglassing and epoxying your build. I would not recommend applying the Monstraliner to bare wood and the joints in the wood need to be glassed.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

I have a couple posts that show the finished results of Monstraliner if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=65851 Introduction

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65860 Build
planewoodworker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 19Ford95 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello Planewoodworker,

I ended up calling monstaliner. They recommended 3 coats of clear polyurethane. I put 4 pretty heavy coats on. (almost a gallon about 160-180 sqft) I bought the 2 gallon color kit and stretched it and made it work. I will upload pictures soon. I've just been too busy trying to get this thing on the road for the may 12th meet up in Lincoln State Park. I could possibly be "Done" this weekend. I use "done" loosely because i am going to design my back hatch area later on. Money and time have caught up to me. My build journal shows a bit more pictures and details on when i started etc. I wanted to thank you for your advice and the time you took to respond my post.

Thanks, Dakotah
19Ford95
Teardrop Inspector

Postby prohandyman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am

Hey Dakotah
You need any 12 volt lights? I have a bunch extra, both interior and exterior
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 19Ford95 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks Dan, but i already have all the lights i need!
19Ford95
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves