Hello from SE Washington

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from SE Washington

Postby swestcott » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Greetings teardroppers,

My name is Stephan and I live on Walla Walla, Washington. I've been lurking on this forum for a number of months, but think I'm ready to break my silence.

I have a wife and two young children (3 years and 2 months), and my intention is to tour camp with a teardrop a few times each year, starting in summer 2017 when our newborn is a little more manageable. I've been flip-flopping back and forth between buying a teardrop or building one. Of course I like the cost savings of building my own, but frankly it's a bit daunting. I'm handy enough, but certainly no professional. So I think I've come across the best solution for me, which is to buy a kit from DNM Trailers:
http://www.dnmteardroptrailers.com/oregon-trailer-kits/

I'm tentatively planning to buy a 5x10 kit this summer, ready to build this fall and winter.
I was originally thinking of the 5x8, but given that I'm going to have a family in tow, I think the extra space of the 5x10 will be put to good use.

Instead of pass-through cabinets, I plan on putting in a child's bunk. By default I'd want to put the kids in a nearby tent or side tent, but I think it would be good to have an internal option with really young kids.

Anyway, that's me! I welcome any and all feedback, especially with regards to DNM Trailers / kits or tips on tour camping in a teardrop with a young family.

Cheers,
Stephan
swestcott
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from SE Washington

Postby Jim.Johnson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:42 am

Hello Stephen. I'm up in Ellensburg. I saw a trailer at a recent event that was built from a DNM kit. I didn't examine it closely but it looked really nice and the owner was happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Stephan
Welcome to the Forum.
This past weekend we talked to a fellow from Walla Walla who has a very nice Teardrop For Sale.
I will PM you his phone number.
It appeared to be a very nice trailer for the money he was asking.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 am

Have you seen the Generic Benroy Plans under design resources at the top of the page?
If you go with a complete build it is a step by step.
Perfect TC under Design Resources is also good reading.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 am

Wecome to the forum. I think it would be wise to investigate the existing teardrops out there that are for sale. Check out this board's list in the for sale section. For the price of the "assemble it yourself" package, I am sure you could pick one up, already built. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your camping plans, and when in So Calif, swing on by and we can chat "teardrops"
8) :) :thumbsup: Roly, the li''l ol' So Calif woody teardrop guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby swestcott » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Vedette wrote:This past weekend we talked to a fellow from Walla Walla who has a very nice Teardrop For Sale.
I will PM you his phone number.
It appeared to be a very nice trailer for the money he was asking.

That would be great--thanks! I would love to talk to him and see what he's got.
swestcott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swestcott » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:45 pm

KennethW wrote:Have you seen the Generic Benroy Plans under design resources at the top of the page?
If you go with a complete build it is a step by step.
Perfect TC under Design Resources is also good reading.

Yes, I have scanned through the plans. But I still find it daunting!
If I didn't have specific plans to use the teardrop and it was mostly just a project to fill some time, I'd probably still be inclined to build my own. But I fear it could be a project that easily stretched into years, as it's not like I have loads of free time to devote to a build (5-10 hour per week, max. Even less in the Summer months.)

I have read the Perfect TC several times and it has definitely shaped some of my thinking, including the size (5x10), galley considerations, and booting the kids to a tent outside rather than trying to cram them inside the teardrop (at least as a default. I'm sure that will be fine the older they get, it's just they are very young at the moment.)

Thanks!
Stephan
swestcott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swestcott » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:I think it would be wise to investigate the existing teardrops out there that are for sale. Check out this board's list in the for sale section. For the price of the "assemble it yourself" package, I am sure you could pick one up, already built. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your camping plans, and when in So Calif, swing on by and we can chat "teardrops"

Thanks a lot for the input, I'll give it more consideration. Part of the issue is that I live in rural SE Washington, and there aren't many options in my neck of the woods. And I hate to drive a long distance to see something that I might not buy. But I could probably have a pretty good idea beforehand, with enough communication back and forth.

In any case, thanks for the warm welcome and the invite to look you up when in So Cal :D

Cheers,
Stephan
swestcott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi Stephan
We just got home from our 3755 km Teardrop trip a couple of hours ago........another 16 nights in Miss Piggy! :thumbsup:
Got your PM.......and glad to hear the lead worked out for you.
Welcome to the World of Teardrop Trailer Camping! ;)
We would love to have you as an "Official" PNW Tear Jearkers Member!
Please PM me your personal info or any questions you may have about the PNW Tear Jerkers and I will get you on the "Official Roster" Hope you enjoy your new Teardrop as much as we enjoy ours! ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby swestcott » Sun May 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Thanks Brian, for the warm welcome! We're really excited to finally own a teardrop, and can't wait to get out in it. It will be just a night out here and there to begin with while we've got little ones, but as our kids grow we intend to do some long road trips with it as well.

Attached are a couple pics the teardrop we bought, thanks to your lead. It's the size we were looking for (5x10), and is super solid. It's also got a few extras I'm excited about, such as full insulation, a relatively big sink basin (with hand pump), and roof rack system.

I am interested in the Tear Jerkers NW group. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Stephan
Attachments
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG (121.87 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG (117.05 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG (112.47 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Last edited by swestcott on Sun May 08, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swestcott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hartk1213 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Jim.Johnson wrote:Hello Stephen. I'm up in Ellensburg. I saw a trailer at a recent event that was built from a DNM kit. I didn't examine it closely but it looked really nice and the owner was happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Hey welcome Stephen and good luck with the build...also Jim I'm also in Ellensburg you should check out my Eburg Benroy when u get the chance

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk
hartk1213
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Wed May 11, 2016 1:58 am

hartk1213 wrote:Hey welcome Stephen and good luck with the build...also Jim I'm also in Ellensburg you should check out my Eburg Benroy when u get the chance

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

Another possible PNW Chapter Tear Jerker Chapter member???? :thumbsup:
We are in need of new members here on the "Dry Side" of the mountains! :applause:
Please contact me if you are interested.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves