new guy

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new guy

Postby Philip » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:25 am

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum after lurking for a little while and doing a massive amount of reading. I want to say in advance. This site has some great members. I have not seen all the drama and bickering here that I have seen on other sites. Lots of great information and a shared willingness to help others. It is refreshing after some of the other sites I have been around. Well done. :applause:

Now for me. I am a retired person now. For a little background. I have worked all my life as a maintenance person of one form or another. It didn't matter if it was automotive, semi's, heavy equipment, plant maintenance. I worked all those trades over the years. In all those different trades I was the fabricator in most of the departments. So building stuff I can normally handle. Steel or wood doesn't matter.

The wife punches out at the end of the year. So we wish to do some traveling. After looking at a bunch of options. We have decided to use my truck and build a expedition type camper. We do plan on boondocking a lot. We both felt a trailer or RV might not fit into the areas we might want to go. A prebuilt overhead camp might make a top heavy rig. "I don't want to go there". I plan on setting the camper up with water and lots of solar on it. It will be pretty much self contained. I do not plan on a generator being in the mix. Everything will be 12 volts. I haven't decided on one or two group 31 batteries yet. For solar I can hang at least 260 watts on top. That could support two batteries if needed. My truck uses a group 31 battery that is also why group 31's. you know just in case. :lol:

Now for the haul rig. Its is a 93 Dodge one ton $X$ dually with a diesel and 6 spd transmission. It does have a flatbed. So my build is going to be based off a large flat steel surface to work from. It also has 5ea tool boxes built into it. At least 2 of the boxes will be used for camping items. If anyone is interested in wasting a bunch of time. :lol:

Here is a rebuild thread I did on the truck a couple of years ago. Be sure to look at the name of the thread for a laugh.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93 ... oject.html
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Re: new guy

Postby kenaxelds » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Great stuff, lovely truck. It looks like it was quite the project :thumbsup:
kenaxelds
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Welcome!
But Please Remember that before you read this.....that "I am very opinionated" and this is just my opinion. (But based on what I have learned in the past 3 years)
Nice Truck!........But, I have a nice truck too! Which used???? But not as much as I thought we would for hauling our teardrop!
As, it is not so much about the tow vehicle (TV) as it is about the company you are about to keep.
Teardrop Campers are Teardrop campers.....and a very special breed. :thumbsup:
If you truly want to become part of the "Teardrop Family" you will pursue a Teardrop, that can be towed behind an economical TV, and save the "Truck" for your truck friends.
Remember.....this is about to become a lifestyle, at the end of a lifetime of working for a living! ;)
Hope to meet you and your wife at a Teardrop Gathering somewhere down the road.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Nice truck, I'm sure it will look great with whatever you build to tow behind it and you'll be welcome to camp besides other teardroppers.
We tow our teardrop occasionally with our 55 Chevy Belair.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Philip » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 pm

I love the looks of tear drops. Like I posted for the areas we are planning on going I don't think a trailer is a good option. If we planed on staying on improved or semi improved roads or in camps grounds her car would work with a tear drop. As far a milage her car with a tear drop would only get maybe 4 MPG more than my truck.

Like stated it is the people you meet camping. One of the reasons I joined, on my travels threw the camping and greetings section. I noticed a lot of sections stated we don't care what you have for a camper. Come on down and enjoy. Another site I am a member of doesn't have that many gear head/ builders on it. I like hanging around with people that like to build and show off that talent. It doesn't matter to me if a person isn't building/ owning what I like. Its the quality of construction and attention to details that matters and the desire to do it.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves