New guy in Ontario

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New guy in Ontario

Postby Thalass » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Canada, that is. Though I'm from Australia.

Hey folks! I recently discovered these neat little caravans you guys have, and I think they're great! When I was a kid my family would go camping in the bush with the Subaru Club. Everyone used tents, which as a kid were fun. But as my parents got older my mother in particular stopped enjoying tents so much. Now I'm (allegedly) an adult myself and while I like going camping and all that, my wife prefers glamping. However since we're in Canada now, "caravan" means "giant camping trailer the size of a house and requiring a Dodge Ram to haul around." Well, that's just not my style. A teardrop would be a great for both of us, I think. Since the wife isn't big on going bush so much we don't really need a lot of off-road ability (Like a TVan), and since my next car will be a Tesla Model 3 it'd be nice if it was aerodynamic, too. Though most likely we'd go in our rav 4.

The main thing that could make a teardrop not work for us is that we have two kids, who are too big to sleep in the bed with us, but too small to sleep in a tent on their own. I've been thinking maybe some kind of folding bunks on the side walls, or rear wall. Or maybe something as elaborate as a lifting section of the roof that they can sleep under. But KISS is important, so they'll probably just have to sleep in hammocks or something hahaha.

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, and I think I'm starting to get a feel for the whole teardrop thing, but I'm yet to see one in the wood. But I'm not in a hurry, my new car won't get here until 2018 or so. >.<
Thalass
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New guy in Ontario

Postby Gladtobehere » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi. I'm in ontario too. I camp with 2 grand kids. I started with a teardrop but that simply wasn't big enough for even 1 kid. Long story short we endedup in an Aliner. Hard sides......quick set up........I can stand up.

You have a Tesla means you have some money. Look at the Alto by Safari Condo. Look at the Aliner and other A frame tralers and for sure some of the bigger tear drpo trailers.

BTW: I would buy an Alto if i had the money. It is simply beautiful. And a teardrop!

The Aliner is something I can afford and works for us. I figure, with a few simple mods I can sleep 6 in an Aliner.......High.... Dry... And close.

I shouldalso say that ALL cooking happens outside the trailer in my world. Despite having a trailer with a 3 burner cook top inside.

We prefer the Provincial parks with electric sites and comfort stations. Almost glamping.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Thalass » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Well I don't have a Tesla yet, I have to wait for the "affordable" version to come out. But I do like the provincial parks here. We went to Restoule last year, and borrowed my father in law's truck and trailer.
Thalass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Welcome from another Canadian.
We are empty nesters, and have been Teardrop Camping for the past three years......LOVE IT!
At our first Gathering we saw what we thought was the best ever Teardrop for couples with one or two small children.
It was a 1967 Scad-A-Bout.........There were only 4 built??????? But, why this concept never caught on or was copied is beyond me? :thinking:
Google it! or send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you some pictures!
Perfect for family with two kids aged 5 to 12.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gladtobehere » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:52 am

Never knew about the Scad a bout, but I looked at numerous small trailers. Most would be fine for prople under 6 feet tall. I am just 6ft. And need a sleeping area at least 6'4".....not to mention a nice high ceiling. The Aliner meets those needs and comes in under 2000lbs fully loaded with bikes and all the other stuff we like to carry. Now there is even a small dog in the picture.

All told we can go camping and get 11l per 100km while towing. Not perfect but not the 30l / 100km that many bigger rigs consume.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Thalass » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

That Scad-a-bout is pretty interesting. I like how the roof pops up. Not 100% a fan of the profile, mind you, but those are the compromises you make for functionality. hahaha
Thalass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:37 pm

I thought it was the cutest thing I had ever seen, for anyone who would sleeping are for more than "Two"??? ;)
Hope you find what you think meets your needs!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Thalass » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks! I've been sketching a bit. My eldest is only 8, so she's still shorter than 1.5m - which appears to be about 5 feet as most of these campers are built. So I'm thinking a couple of navy-style squeezy bunks sideways along the rear bulkhead could work - until she gets too old at least. That would make the sleeping part of the cabin ~2.5m long, and overall the camper would be about 3m long. I'm guestimating about 50cm depth for the kitchen, and about 50cm for the bunks. That may well not be wide enough for the kids to comfortably sleep, and the remaining 2m of length for my wife and I might not be enough either (We're both about 1.8m tall).

But it's just a first sketch while looking at the generic benroy pdf in the design section above. So everything is subject to change!
Thalass
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves