New Guy From Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Guy From Texas

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Just wanted to say hi. I just purchased a Runaway Camper and was looking for ideas for gearing up and modifying and found this place. Have already found alot if good information. As you can probably tell from my username, I have an attraction to cigars and jeeps as well as other outdoor activities such as mountain biking, kayaking, etc. I look forward to learning more.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Guy From Texas

Postby bc toys » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:22 pm

welcome what part of texas are you from I grew up in N East Texas Omaha Miss it bad when camping time is here
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Smithville Texas (30 miles east of Austin). Sure is hot for camping this time of year, but the a.c. in the new unit makes life easier.

cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby cindylee60 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi there...I just joined today.
That's exactly the little trailer I want too, a Runaway. How does your jeep like it? Is it easy to tow? I have a 2004 TJ but I've never towed anything in my life, not even a little U Haul trailer.

I hope to get a Runaway in the next couple years, they fit my budget and have a good reputation, but they are in Florida and I'm in Seattle. Not sure how I'm going to make that happen.

But it's fun to poke around in this forum and dream :) I"m also collecting gear for that day :)
cindylee60
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 pm

I have not hauled it fully loaded yet (have only hauled it with my truck so far), but have no doubt that it will haul fine. I used to haul a 5x8 v-nose with my jeep and believe it or not, it actually made my lifted jeep drive better, especially when windy. It wandered less on the road. There are ALOT of jeep owners that have this camper. If you do a Facebook search for runaway camper, there are a couple pages that have the owners on there and you can see their setups with their jeeps. I love mine so far. I just installed a kayak rack on mine and will probably install the bike carrier this weekend. I haven't hauled with the jeep yet because I was unable to haul the camper and my bike at the same time.

cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby BajaMikey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Awesome jeep and trailer set up! Must be nice to throw it in 4 and get to some secluded spots, how well does the trailer do on light to medium trails?
Coors Light is a drink best served Cold.
BajaMikey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 am

Howdy Texas and welcome to the Forum... :applause:

I love getting off the road and away from folks for a quiet camp... Great looking set-up!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by AZ_Desert_Rat on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:12 am

BajaMikey wrote:Awesome jeep and trailer set up! Must be nice to throw it in 4 and get to some secluded spots, how well does the trailer do on light to medium trails?

Thanks. Haven't pulled it off road yet. Probably won't until I do a spring over lift on the axle and out some bigger tires on it. Right now there would be clearance issues from it being too low. And I doubt I'll do anything too rough with it since its not really built for that. But will def use it to get back in some secluded areas.

cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:13 am

AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:Howdy Texas and welcome to the Forum... :applause:

I love getting off the road and away from folks for a quite camp... Great looking set-up!!

Thanks!

cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 am

cigarsnjeeps wrote:
AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:Howdy Texas and welcome to the Forum... :applause:

I love getting off the road and away from folks for a quite camp... Great looking set-up!!

Thanks!

I went with a straight axle and spring over for 24" clearance on my Cargo Conversion and never hit bottom, but I planned for that just in case with an 8" wide x 1/8" skid plate all the way across the back with an extra cross member... 8) 8)

Way to go... :thumbsup:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves