Gidday From Downunder

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Gidday From Downunder

Postby Thunderbird » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:20 am

Hi all, Dave is my name I'm from Melbourne Australia, I've been lurking here for a little while and figured it's about time to say Hi, I'm building a Teardrop although not a traditional camping teardrop this one is a little bit different, I'm a car nut, lover of American classic cars, so about 5 years ago the kids had got married and moved on, so I decided it was time to find an American classic but it had to be cheap, a mate found a 64 Ford Thunderbird on a farm about 1 hour from home, so I went and looked and got it cheap. The next 3 months was spent taking her back to a shell and doing a complete ground up rebuild, I had a mate help me on the weekends so every night after work 5pm till midnight and every weekend 7am till late it was full steam ahead, finally she was done. about 6 months after she was finished my mate who'd helped me build her passed away at 55 years old, The Bird is dedicated to him, Took some time to get over that one. Anyway life goes on, after 2 years of using the Bird I decided to set up my own car club for American Classics, my mate Phil is member No 1. It's been a further 3 years now and we have 45 members Camaros, Corvettes, Plymouths, Buicks, Mustangs and several TBirds etc, etc this means we cart a lot of stuff to car shows, too much for the trunk of the TBird so I decided I'd get a trailer but a garden variety 6x4 wouldn't do for taking to car shows, I remembered my mate who passed away had loved Teardrop trailers and always talked about building one, So that decision was easy It's going to be a Teardrop dedicated to Phil. Thanks for all the help from the threads on this forum I''ve now started building, As I said earlier she's not a traditional TD, no bed no kitchen but she will have a 6 burner BBQ that will roll in and out the back of the trailer, leaving the floor space clear for storage of the club gazebo, flags, banners, esky, etc, etc. All the gear including the BBQ will be removable so down the track I might build a galley and install a bed for the wife and I to go exploring. so far It's coming along pretty well, I'll post up some pics soon. I'll start a build thread, meanwhile here's a couple of pics of my Tbird that will be towing the Teardrop. thanks for reading and wish me luck I think I might need it. Cheers Dave

Thunderbird
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Gidday From Downunder

Postby felixx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:37 am

Nice car Dave
I know another Dave from Melbourne who has a TD
felixx
Donating Member

Re: Gidday From Downunder

Postby Thunderbird » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:10 am

Hi Felixx
I haven't seen one in Melbourne at al. But i'm sure they must be around I've seen a facebook page for both Aussie Teardrops and another for Victorian Teardrops .
Thunderbird
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves