Getting started in Ft Lauderdale, FL

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Getting started in Ft Lauderdale, FL

Postby bosleybeebop » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:38 pm

Trying this again, first posted got erased :cry:

Lots of great information and resources on this site, looking forward to sharing my build with everyone!

My name is Jason, finishing grad school soon and looking forward to some extended traveling. Basing my design off of Taxa's Tiger Moth trailer Image, I've already picked up Northern Tool's 5x8 trailer, hoping to push my build to a 6x9 to get a little more usable space. My tow vehicle is a Honda Element.

My initial questions:

How have others supported their build when overhanging their frame (I have access to a welding shop, and will be tightening up my trailer this weekend and adding some additional supports)

I've sourced a great local marine plywood supplier with an excellent selection of materials. Intend on doing SIP walls, but unsure what dimensions make most sense. 1/4" ply 1" foam w sticks 1/4" ply. Do I need 1/4" ply on both surfaces, can I get away with 1/8", which face would you put the thinner ply?

Having a hard time finalizing the height dimensions, the Tiger Moth trailer has a slanted roof design. One of the reasons I was drawn to this layout was the ability to sit up inside the trailer. I'm 6', now I don't need to stand up inside my trailer (galley style kitchen and no bathroom facilities) but need the bench/bed to be min. 18" for storage/fridge. Visualizing available headroom has been difficult, currently have designs with 6' at the entryway tapering down to about 5'. The manufacturer has the interior height listed at 4'10". What do you feel is a comfortable clearance while in a seated position?

Those are my some of the questions I'm working through currently, appreciate your feedback and your recommendations!

Jason
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Getting started in Ft Lauderdale, FL

Postby Rick Tyler » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Regarding height -- one piece of advice from boat builders is to make sure that the cabin has good standing headroom for most people (at least 6 feet) OR make it short enough that no one will make the mistake of trying to stand up. I can tell from painful personal experience that an overhead that is 6' tall is much more dangerous to a 6-3 person, than a 4' roof is. With a short roof, a person never tries to stand up, but a middling height roof can cause someone to absentmindedly stand up to smack their skulls and crunch their necks. So, either go big or stay short.

Sounds like a fun build. Good luck!
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby bosleybeebop » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Hadn't thought about bumping heads :?

Since its a slanted roof, even if I went high enough to stand that height would quickly diminish.
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toconnor602 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:26 pm

Please let me know where you are getting your slide rails from for the kitchen pull out. I am looking to do something similar in my build.
toconnor602
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bosleybeebop » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 am

toconnor602 wrote:Please let me know where you are getting your slide rails from for the kitchen pull out. I am looking to do something similar in my build.

Will do
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves