Hello from the Oregon Coast - Newbies

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from the Oregon Coast - Newbies

Postby Mcamp44 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:49 am

Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased a teardrop trailer that needs some repair. It looks like it was a home project build and does not have all the bells and whistles like some. We are excited to get working on it and I am starting by replacing the leaf springs. there is some wood on the front and back edges that need repair as well and i'm not really sure where to start with that. I'll post some pictures soon. Thanks and any help is appreciated!

-Mark
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from the Oregon Coast - Newbies

Postby Esteban » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Welcome from the California Central Coast. You're in for adventurous times and travels.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:40 pm

welcome from the Puget Sound. I'm sure you will find plenty here to offer advice and help on your renovation.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Welcome from the PNW Tear Jerkers!
Where exactly are you on the Oregon Coast? :thinking:
We have a number of PNW TJ Members along the Oregon Coast. ;)
Can't wait to meet up with you! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PNW TJ Chapter Director
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mcamp44 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:15 am

We are located in Astoria. Looking forward to getting the trailer road worthy and water tight at a minimum before the end of the summer so we can take it out.

-Mark
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mcamp44 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Here are some photos:

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

Well, we look forward to meeting you and seeing your cute little trailer at the Fall Brigade in Mulino Sept. 24th.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mcamp44 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 pm

My wife and I have begun removing the paint and are wondering if we need to get it all off or just rough it up to paint over. We also need some advice on Paint and Primer types for after its all sanded. I have looked through a lot of the build forums and some of the suggestions are a little more elaborate and outside our skill level. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :)
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:45 am

Paint products have evolved to a whole new level over the past 2 decades, that it is sometimes hard to keep up. :thinking:
But, you are best to strip of "All" old paints and primers if you want to do it right. Because the new paints and primers are most likely not going to be compatible with what you have as a base already, and the price of "Automotive Paint" is not cheap these days....so get it right the first time! ;) You will be money ahead.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mcamp44 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! We stripped all the paint we could and have begun priming. I also replaced the sections of damaged wood. We are priming with Kilz Complete and have not decide what to do as a final exterior paint. Do you have any recommendations? We were going to use an outdoor high gloss enamel paint but if there's something better I am all ears. I'm also trying to source some diamond playing for the front and back where the damage occurred. I'll post some pics of the progress soon. Thanks again!! :thumbsup:
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 am

Mcamp44 wrote:Thanks for the reply! We stripped all the paint we could and have begun priming. I also replaced the sections of damaged wood. We are priming with Kilz Complete and have not decide what to do as a final exterior paint. Do you have any recommendations? We were going to use an outdoor high gloss enamel paint but if there's something better I am all ears. I'm also trying to source some diamond playing for the front and back where the damage occurred. I'll post some pics of the progress soon. Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

I am a car builder and am not familiar with house paint, only automotive finishes. :NC
Never heard of the primer kit you used, so have no idea what will be compatible with it.
Sorry! :(
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint may be a good thrifty paint to use.
Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint provides long-lasting protection and a brilliant finish to fiberglass, wood or metal that is above the waterline. It is made from a modified alkyd and is durable in extreme weather conditions.

Discussion thread about using Rustoleum Topside Marine Paint on teardrop trailers
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:34 am

Welcome to the Forum Mark... :applause:

Your TD looks nice and remember those without all the "Bells & Whistles" can be outfitted with whatever "Bells & Whistles" you want!!! :twisted: :twisted:

You are off to a great start and I"ll throw my 2 cents in, the KILTZ site says...
KILZ Complete® is an oil-based primer, sealer and stainblocker ideal for blocking stains, priming, and sealing almost all interior and exterior surfaces. It is especially effective at blocking graffiti, tannin, water, smoke and other bleeding stains.
http://www.kilz.com/products/primer/kilz-complete

I might suggest contacting them and tell them what your painting and see what they recommend for a top-coat... ;)

Good luck and keep us in the loop as to what you paint it with... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby mobile camper » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Mark,

Welcome to the fun. I would like to come over and check out your new toy. There is a ton of information and great people on this forum. As Brian said it would be great for you two to make it to the Fall Brigade. If there is anything I can help with just PM me.

Steve G
mobile camper
Teardrop Master

Postby Mcamp44 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:14 pm

We have decided on a paint! Going with Petit topside EZpoxy. http://www.pettitpaint.com/m/product_mobile.asp?id=45
If it's good enough for a boat it should work fine on our trailer. It apparently goes on really smooth too which will be nice. I appreciate all of the responses so far. And Steve You're welcome to come check it out anytime. I also picked up some diamond plate aluminum for the front and back for added protection. Just installed some extra bracing on the inside to attach it. Pics coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcamp44
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves