Taking the plunge in Upstate SC

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Taking the plunge in Upstate SC

Postby meedgar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:55 pm

I am excited about taking the plunge into my first build. BIG THANK YOUS already for the information I have gathered during my looking around the website.

I have ordered my trailer and for those interested will start a build thread once the sawdust begins flying. Seems like the post that have sawdust flying are popular on the builds.

Here is my plan right now:

Size: 5X8 Ironton Northern tool trailer ordered.

I was really leaning to a 4x8 due to simplicity of the wood sizes and savings on the trailer. I laid out a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the floor and my wife and I acted like we were sleeping. It didn't go well. I am 6'2" 195lbs and the hog of the space. Plus we have a 12 year old that will want to come into the trailer from her tent when she sees the comfort. 5x8 decision made. Plus the trailer was on sale for $40 off and I had a $50 coupon. This made the bigger trailer only $40 more than the HF 4X8 with free shipping to my local Northern Tool. I love it when things fall into place.

Design: Generic Benroy (I know not very exciting but a design that last over years and is simple is a good design)

I wanted a design with a little more "Tear" in it but wasn't ready for the extra skill of bending the wood more. Learning wiring and cabinet making is enough new skill orientation on the first build. I am working on softening the curves on the Benroy plans with a template while I wait for the trailer.

I am really looking forward to learning new skills and enjoying the ride.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
meedgar
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Taking the plunge in Upstate SC

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:26 am

Welcome, and good luck with your build! Where abouts are you in SC? I live about an hour North of Bowling Green in Taylorsville, NC.

I just started mine recently, also using the NT 5x8. I stretched my frame in the rear since I'm building a 5x10. Mine is loosely based on the Grumman.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby meedgar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:57 pm

I live in Greenville SC about 2 hours away.

Are you going to do a build post? Would love to follow.

Our paths will cross with all the beautiful camping we have in WNC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
meedgar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brx017 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Cool. I used to go down that way occasionally when I worked for Harrison's Workwear, when he opened a store in Hickory, NC. I used to go to the Spartanburg and Mauldin store occasionally. I think he had a store in Greer too, but I never went to it.

Yeah, here's my build thread: Brooks' 5x10 Barrett's Mountain Build. I need to post some updates, I've had time to work on it some this week.

There's a lot of great places to go in the area for sure. We were just up in Cherokee 2 weeks ago, spent a few nights in a friend's cabin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!!! :applause: :applause:
You are off and running... :thumbsup:
It is great that to have another build going together so close, with brx017 only 2 hours away!! :)
Good luck on your build and we love to see pics... :pictures: :pictures: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves