Hello from western Canada!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from western Canada!

Postby Camp4Life » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:18 am

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this site for a long time. Since I started actually designing a trailer, I decided I should sign up and get some helpful advice from the knowledgeable people here :thumbsup:

Been a tenter my whole life, but as I'm getting into my late 30's I'm starting to want some more and not having as much fun crawling in and out of my tent. I've also been in the army for 15 years, and I would like some more creature comforts in my personal camping time compared to tenting with the army. I've had a couple of major abdominal surgeries the past 2 years that I'm still recovering from as well. But most importantly, my wife is also not a fan of cold damp nights in a tent.

I'm still in my design phase which I will make a new post for. I plan on collecting everything I need over the fall and winter, and start building in the spring. Looking forward to being part of this awesome community :beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Re: Hello from western Canada!

Postby Vedette » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 am

Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
Where are you in Alberta?
And are you aware that there is an active Tear Jerkers Chapter in B.C.?
While designing remember to follow these rules if you are to keep the wife happy and want to enjoy travelling with your Teardrop!
1. 5' wide is a must.
2. Two doors is a must.
3. Torsion Ride axle is a must. (buy a "Dexter" directly from the factory to your specs)
4. Don't buy a cheap Canadian Tire or Harbour Freight utility trailer as your base.
5. Don't try to be a minimalist when it come to wiring. (buy a good converter.......lots of great info here n the forum under Electrical)
6. Aluminum skin is best suited for our climate.
Don't be afraid to as questions. :thinking:
This is a great place to be while building! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:32 am

Hello Camp4Life... Welcome to the Forum and the world of tiny trailers!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You find it ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC when you drive all day to get someplace and it is raining when you get there... NOW, with a trailer, just jump out of the TV and crawl into a warm dry trailer!!! Great not to have to set up camp in the rain...
:lol: :lol:

You have found a great site for TD information & Techniques... Take a look at the Top-of-Page Links like Design Resources and Hall of Fame, and if you slide down the BOARD INDEX, you'll find everything from TEARDROP CONSTRUCTION TIPS & TECHNIQUES to CHASSIS... and even SKINNING TECHNIQUES... Truly a great Forum... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck on your build and hope to meet you sometime at a warm campfire... :applause: :applause:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Vedette wrote:Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
Where are you in Alberta?
And are you aware that there is an active Tear Jerkers Chapter in B.C.?
While designing remember to follow these rules if you are to keep the wife happy and want to enjoy travelling with your Teardrop!
1. 5' wide is a must.
2. Two doors is a must.
3. Torsion Ride axle is a must. (buy a "Dexter" directly from the factory to your specs)
4. Don't buy a cheap Canadian Tire or Harbour Freight utility trailer as your base.
5. Don't try to be a minimalist when it come to wiring. (buy a good converter.......lots of great info here n the forum under Electrical)
6. Aluminum skin is best suited for our climate.
Don't be afraid to as questions. :thinking:
This is a great place to be while building! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Thanks! I'm in Edmonton :)

I've already got a design laid out that I'm tweaking now, and starting to plan wiring and plumbing.

Sneak peek:

You can see my entire design with lots more pics here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=66810

It'll be 6' wide, 12' long. Something we can stand in, and has a sink for outside.
I'll only have a single rear door because of the layout. No need for side doors except for access hatches.
The trailer is something I'm still on the hunt for. Likely a 3500 pounder with brakes. Still on the fence about buying vs building.
Wiring is something I'm very good at. I'll have a converter, inverter, as well as solar with a charge controller, all LED lights. I'm meticulous with soldering, shrink wrapping and making everything neat and tidy. Should be fun!
For the skin, I was going to do the poor man's fiberglass (canvas and paint) topped with bedliner. The front of the trailer will be aluminum skinned from the bottom to halfway to the back (about the middle of the front side windows).

I'm exited that I found this site, and I'll surely have lots and lots of question to come! For now, I'm just looking for feedback on my design post that I linked above :beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves