Cargo Conversion Mesa Arizona

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Cargo Conversion Mesa Arizona

Postby BajaMikey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Hello All,

Longtime browser of the site, finally got around to registering as a member. So much great information on this site, I love to see other people builds, and there are so many knowledgeable people posting tips and tricks.

I purchased a 16' Look Cargo trailer about 4 months ago and I have spent a lot of time doing research and planning my build. My wife and I do a lot of hunting and 4wheeling and we are planning to turn the trailer into a "redneck" toyhauler. Nothing too fancy, we are used to roughing it but would love to sleep on a regular bed in a climate controlled weather proof environment.

So far we have insulated the walls and ceiling with 1" foam, painted the walls white, floor grey with the garage type paint flakes added. I have built a Murphey style fold out bed to accommodate a 6" wide queen mattress (amazon) with plenty of clearance for my quad. I was able to obtain a free kitchen cabinet set and piece of shelving to match. It was missing the counter top which I made out of a piece of plywood. Painting the countertop and hanging the shelves are coming soon. I used some thin wood paneling for the roof, and have 3 RV type lights all pre-wired to a switch.

Next on the to do list is installing a power converter. I am still debating between a WFCO or a PD converter, but i will have (3) 120v outlets, and will run the DC lights through the converter as well. 30 amp power inlet for shore power will be mounted up front. We are in the desert so AC is a must, along with an electric heater. My plan is to have the trailer store install a marine style cargo door, and build a base for the window AC unit to slide in and out of place on drawer sliders. I am also planning on installing a folding table and chairs set in the trailer as well. I am going to mount the table with hindges to the wall so it can fold up when not in use. The chairs will tuck away on the side of the cabinets.

I was initially thinking i would opt for an outdoor popup shower and luggable loo set up as far as bathroom needs go...but i am debating installing a more permanent indoor setup, just not sure i want to sacrifice that much space for how often it will actually be used.

Thanks for everyone's help throughout the process. I have gotten a lot of ideas through surfing tnttt, and it is such a great resource for anyone starting up a project like this.
Attachments
rsz_trailer3.jpg
rsz_trailer3.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 183 times
rsz_trailer2.jpg
rsz_trailer2.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 183 times
rsz_trailer1.jpg
rsz_trailer1.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Coors Light is a drink best served Cold.
BajaMikey
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cargo Conversion Mesa Arizona

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Mikey, welcome to the Forum and the world of trailering... :applause: :applause:

Before I moved from AZ, I worked with the Look folks and actually went to their build yard in the west valley a number of times to make the mods I wanted to my 6x10 Look... Check out my Gallery (Link below)... Look was fantastic to work with and did a ton of extras for me... I have since wired it for shore 120 vac and installed a Dometic Awning... :D :D

Here was an early post on my trailer build... Good luck!!! 8)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56995&p=1031289#p1031289

Good luck to you and hope to meet up sometime on the road... :thumbsup:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves