new to the game

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new to the game

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:54 am

Spending quite a bit of time researching diy campers. I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Re: new to the game

Postby FredSB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:13 am

What style are you planning? :)
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi Pwhthlyphy1 welcome to the forum. Sorry if I mispelled your name, but just want you to know that we are here to help, since many of us have been in the same place as you are right now. What; is your real handle, mine is Roly, as in rolypoly, and am curious to know what trailer you have in mind, what size, what shape, what exterior material and if you have any questions we could help you with. Good luck on your build, let us know where you're located, ask any questions you like and enjoy what we have to offer.
:) 8) :applause: Roly, of So Calif fame.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

An eye to the future

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I haven't started my build yet, I have a shed project to finish before I start.

However, my platform is going to be a 5x8 trailer. The one with the mesh floor and rail around the side. I have had the trailer for years as I used it for hauling my motorcycle to various functions.

Anyway, I've been wanting a camper for a while, and tenting is cool but I would like to lock my door at night. I could wait until I retire and buy one but where's the fun in that.

I actually bought the plans for a squidget, but am leaning back to a modified squidget, teardroppish shape.

DIY is cool, repurposing material is cool, lurking is okay as long as you don't get arrested :D .

I've decided to take the plunge and do it myself. I've spent a lot of time cruising the web and looking at pics and styles.

My project doesn't have a name yet, and when that happens I will post up in the build section.

SO here is a thought/question. Do I leave the rail intact, only cutting out a section for a door? I thought perhaps of leaving the rail as added support and actually bolting the walls to the rail as added support. Or would there be too much flex in the trailer?

Youo can call me a lot of things, but I prefer Paula :)
Attachments
Utility Trailer Platform for Build.jpg
Utility Trailer Platform for Build.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Hi Pwhthlyphy1 welcome to the forum. Sorry if I mispelled your name, but just want you to know that we are here to help, since many of us have been in the same place as you are right now. What; is your real handle, mine is Roly, as in rolypoly, and am curious to know what trailer you have in mind, what size, what shape, what exterior material and if you have any questions we could help you with. Good luck on your build, let us know where you're located, ask any questions you like and enjoy what we have to offer.
:) 8) :applause: Roly, of So Calif fame.

So over the last couple of years I've been chewed upon by the DIY bug. I like trying new things...current project is a pallet shed. Not pretty, but will be pretty functional. It is to date the largest project I have attempted.
not
Last week it was a tin can rocket stove. I haven't had a chance to try it out. Maybe when I get the camper done :thumbsup:

But I've been doing a lot of lurking and think I will go with a foamie, foamie hybrid is likely. Build out my trailer from a 4x8 to 5x9, a little/slightly not too tear droppish. It'll be nice. :D
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves