Hello from MS

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from MS

Postby kdbstlrfan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Hello,

Name here is Ken. I have just started building my first TD. I am using an old flat bed trailer that I bought 22 years ago. It was 8' x 8' so I am modifying it to make it 5' x 10'. I will try to post pics as I make progress. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and recently sold my boat, so now I need a new hobby!! Guess you can figure out what I chose!! I can't wait to Finish and take my first trip with the TD in tow.
Attachments
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG (50.73 KiB) Viewed 551 times
kdbstlrfan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from MS

Postby greygoos » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Good luck with your build. Hope you enjoy it
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. That frame looks interesting, and should make a fine platform for a TD. I am curious about the 2 inch square tube on the street side of the trailer. Is it actually going to extend to the length of the square tube, as shone in the pic? If so, it looks like it is going to have a very short tongue. Perhaps I'm not looking at it correctly, also how about telling us where you are located and if you can make it to any of the local gatherings in your area. Good luck, take pics and keep posting em.
:) 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the So Calif woody guy
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby kdbstlrfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. That frame looks interesting, and should make a fine platform for a TD. I am curious about the 2 inch square tube on the street side of the trailer. Is it actually going to extend to the length of the square tube, as shone in the pic? If so, it looks like it is going to have a very short tongue. Perhaps I'm not looking at it correctly, also how about telling us where you are located and if you can make it to any of the local gatherings in your area. Good luck, take pics and keep posting em.
:) 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the So Calif woody guy

Good questions. First, I am just north of Jackson, MS near Pocahontas, MS. I have not been to any gatherings but look forward to going and meeting people. I was a Scoutmaster of a Boy Scout Troop for many years and finally decided to get off of the ground by building a TD.

About the trailer. It was a snowmobile trailer. Now, you ask, where did I get a snowmobile trailer in MS? Well, I bought it in Maine when I was stationed in Cutler, ME (US Navy). It was the trailer I used to move to MS in 1994, so it has been sitting around not being used for much of anything.

It was 8' x 8'. I am cutting the width to 5' and extending the length to 10'. Yes, the 2" square tube will extend to the point it is at in the picture. What I am going to do is extend the tongue and additional 2 feet to make up the difference. This way, the axle is at the 60/40 location which I feel is the best overall location for the build. The trailer sits high enough that I plan to add a couple storage areas under the frame to store things like hoses, poles and awnings. Once the trailer welding is complete, I will build the floor and then start on the walls.

I have decided to go with insulated walls and roof. The exterior finish will be fiberglass overlay on the wood panels. This will be clear and allow the wood to be the finish. I have some conceptual drawings in the process and when they are done, I will post them in a build thread. This is going to be fun!!!! I hope!!
kdbstlrfan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby FredSB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Good start and best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves