Greeting from Space Coast, FL

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greeting from Space Coast, FL

Postby MadMango » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 am

Our family just sold our 1988 Sportsmobile (full-size van with pop-top) and now regret it. It was rusty and leaked around the doors, but never around the pop-up. We used to go camping about once a month, but haven't gone since May. I think we're having withdrawals, as last month we decided to just set-up a tent in the backyard. I've been wanting a TTT, and my wife has given me permission to dig my own hole (grave?) and attempt this build. I am by no means a cabinet maker or wood worker, but I have carved tikis and other Polynesian things out of bone, so I know my way around wood and basic tools.

I've done my share of minimalist camping, especially out in the high deserts of Mojave, Death Valley, and the Los Angeles National Forest, and Mt. Palomar when I lived in California. Living in Florida has presented it's own challenges like biting bugs (thank you ThermaCELL), humidity, rain, humidity, swamps... did I mention humidity? When I solo here, I use a hammock slung between the palmetto trees, but when the wife wants to go, I have to bring the kitchen sink. On the plus side, I get to eat real food! Our son just turned 4, so I want something a little better than a "family" tent. Once he gets old enough to carry his own gear (8 or 10) I may introduce him to hammock camping, especially when he outgrows the planed loft bed I envision for this build.

I hope to build on a 4x8 trailer with upgraded full-size tires. My largest hurdle is I have no garage space and basic hand and power tools, so this build will be done outside, hopefully under a canopy or tarp. I'm still in the concept and design phase, and browsing this site has given me some great ideas. Some of the trailers here are truly works of art! I just be happy if mine is simply functional.

Cheers,
Ray
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Re: Greeting from Space Coast, FL

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:38 am

Welcome aboard........now, on with the build. Have you considered a Harbor Freight trailer? My 3 tears are built on them, and no problems whatsoever. Check out the Hall of Fame, lots of ideas there. Good luck with the bugs, btw what are bugs?
:) 8)Roly, of So Calif fame.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Re: Greeting from Space Coast, FL

Postby MadMango » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 am

Roly,

I had considered a Harbor Freight one, but I sort of want one with a 12-16 inch high railing around it. I'm thinking of building on top of the railing so I can have a cutout for our legs to sit on a couch when they are not folded down for our bed. Plus I think that will give me room for a pull-out and extra storage.

I really miss bug free environments of SoCal.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves