First Build: Light, Cheap and Easy Tiny Teardrop

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

First Build: Light, Cheap and Easy Tiny Teardrop

Postby Crawdaddy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 am

First I want to thank the contributors to this forum, I am a new member but have been gleaning information from this site as I have built my Tiny Teardrop over the last 8 months. I recently completed my "Lil Hobo" ultralight trailer and will be posting a build journal to show the process I used and to "give back," to this wonderful resource. I am a disc golf player and travel to play in tournaments around Texas, I used to tent camp but a 3-day trip last Fall was a cold and wet experience. I am 60 and getting too old to sleep in a tent. I decided to build a small dry place mainly to sleep and carry my gear so my vehicle would be free to go play golf. My Honda Fit does not recommend towing but a little research said it would be OK but the load must be less than 750 lbs. The total gross dry weight of my trailer is 425 lbs., fully loaded with camping gear it is 525. It is an original design, I had a basic idea and just adapted the design as I built. It is possible to build on the fly but it helps to have an overall concept. I am putting together photos and sketches to post a build journal, and thanks again to this site which was a great reference and inspiration. Long-time lurker but now a member.

My build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66930
Last edited by Crawdaddy on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crawdaddy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First Build: Light, Cheap and Easy Tiny Teardrop

Postby Mtlove1492 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Looks like you did a good job cant wait to see the build

:applause:
Mtlove1492
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kergan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:28 pm

It does't look cheap. I think you did a great job.
Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:04 am

WOW, that is nice. I'm really interested in the Wiley Window design. I like how you did the screens. I can't wait for photos of your build.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby MadMango » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Looks great! No door seal?
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Crawdaddy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:28 pm

TimC wrote:WOW, that is nice. I'm really interested in the Wiley Window design. I like how you did the screens. I can't wait for photos of your build.

I looked thru your build, really like the cedar, I used a bunch on the platform and cabinet framing, cheap, light and rot resistant. You took your time and did quality work and it shows in those last camping pictures!

Once I cut the plexiglass for my ports I realized I could put any panel in there so made screens. The wedge works with both in place. I kept the hole cut-out from the window and made a travel cover that bolts to the screen panel inside. I was going to find a way to lock the wedges in place to keep everything in place as the trailer rattles and rolls, this was a better solution.
I saw the notched wedges used on a sailing boat, I think on this forum, and really like the pinch idea.

Last edited by Crawdaddy on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crawdaddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Crawdaddy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 pm

MadMango wrote:Looks great! No door seal?

Still adding details. I am making a drip guard above the door and then will roll outside and spray with the hose to look for leaks. Because the door opens to the outside guess I could put trim on the outside edge of the door. I have that sticky foam insulation tape but really want to go on a test camp to see how thing work in the real world. I live near the border with Texas/Louisiana and it has rained here for two weeks straight. I should just roll it out in the driveway, climb in, and cross my fingers.
Crawdaddy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves