Hello from the mid Gulf Coast!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from the mid Gulf Coast!

Postby JimGC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:40 am

From the Mississippi Gulf Coast and the is my second time joining the group as years ago I built a very tiny toy hauler to haul behind my motorcycle. I have since left the camping world to concentrate on boat/watercraft projects, but am getting ready to do a customer build for a buddy. I work in the marine industry and am very knowledgeable about every system on board both RV and marine. BTW, I will ALWAYS recommend to build to marine specs on electrical -120v/12v-24v-36v-48v/solar + wind.

Besides the winter TT project, I am currently restoring a 1977 35' Pearson Sailboat (16,000#'s) to become a water conservation/renewable energy learning center. It will use solar/wind and hydro-electric chargers and an electric motor system for propulsion. Will post links to the build blog once we have it set up.

Happy trails!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
JimGC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from the mid Gulf Coast!

Postby pchast » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Welcome :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kergan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 pm

JimGC wrote:I work in the marine industry and am very knowledgeable about every system on board both RV and marine. BTW, I will ALWAYS recommend to build to marine specs on electrical -120v/12v-24v-36v-48v/solar + wind.

Hello and welcome. I would love to see your take on a 120v AC/12v DC basic system for trailer builders, especially how marine grade stuff integrates into tiny trailers (and especially why it is worth it.). There is a section devoted to electrical stuff that would be a good place to put it.

Looking forward to details about your 35' Pearson Sail.
Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JimGC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Kergan wrote:
JimGC wrote:I work in the marine industry and am very knowledgeable about every system on board both RV and marine. BTW, I will ALWAYS recommend to build to marine specs on electrical -120v/12v-24v-36v-48v/solar + wind.

Hello and welcome. I would love to see your take on a 120v AC/12v DC basic system for trailer builders, especially how marine grade stuff integrates into tiny trailers (and especially why it is worth it.). There is a section devoted to electrical stuff that would be a good place to put it.

Looking forward to details about your 35' Pearson Sail.

Keegan, biggest reasons for going marine on the electrical components is that the copper is tinned, switches/breakers either potted or sealed, and hardware tends to be in stainless steel. Yes, it costs more initially, however, the durability, corrosion and vibration resistance tend to be tops. Component parts and equipment/panels are readily available in AC/DC. I've been tied up at work to the point I haven't had a day off in over a month, so working my projects has been put on hold. Will post up as things move forward this fall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
JimGC
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves