Hello: Planning off road, somewhat lightweight, CTC

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby arbakken » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:28 pm

For a lot of reasons, I'm planning on building a fully functioning RV capable of going off road and off grid for a long time. I'll end up making posts about the specifics of what I'd like to and why as the design progresses (as well as a build thread when I get around to build the thing). I'm shooting for an ~ 6.5x12 to tow behind my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door). I do a lot of canyoneering, climbing, hiking, camping, etc in the middle of nowhere (southern UT desert). Conventional trailers seem expensive, heavy, flimsy, and have an emphasis on form over function. I'd like to build the opposite.

Needs:
Sleep at least two
Bathroom (digging holes is sometimes logistically difficult, and seems kinda ecologically bad)
Lots of storage
Off road capability
Motorcycle carrier

Wants:
Shower
Full kitchen (oven, sink, fridge)
Solar (lots!)
A/C
Under 1500 lbs empty

Although I'll probably make a separate post, I would like to find a 6.5x12' V front aluminum cargo trailer tall enough to stand up in (6'2"+) with tandem, low capacity (1500 lbs?), axles. Something that hopefully weighs ~1200lbs. It's probably going to have to be semi custom. Anybody seen something like that laying around, or have any experience with getting something like that built?

Thanks!
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hello: Planning off road, somewhat lightweight, CTC

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:50 pm

I can't really help you but this jumped out at me:

with tandem, low capacity (1500 lbs?), axles.

Why tandem axles? The weight of the axle, hubs, springs, wheels and tires will eat into your 1200 pound goal like a hungry-dog wolfing a steak.

Hopefully somebody can give you something positive after my negativity. :thumbsup:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby arbakken » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 pm

I hope so too! I figure an additional axle should add 150 lbs to the trailer, but increase the approach/departure angles greatly. Ideally it will track straighter, sway less, and hopefully keep a bit of weight off the tongue. Also, I feel like the redundancy will add reliability.

I'm not 100% sold on it, but it sounds like a good idea, and great tradeoff!
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:30 pm

If I'm reading this right you want a 6.5x12 tandem that weighs, 1200lbs and can carry 1500lbs. But empty after mods(?) weighs 1500lbs. Thats leaving 300lbs for your living comforts. How high were you thinking? I haven't seen springs under 2000 lbs per axle. Maybe boat trailer springs?
Are you carrying a spare tire? Mines about 40lbs.
My bed is about 110lbs-with sleeping bag and sheet, pillows. Bed frame wall mounts and hardware.
My shower/toilet 25-lbs.
Plumbing and electrical wiring about another 25lbs.
Then add food clothing and other life essentials - adds up quick.
I did my CTC cheap and light but still over 300lbs without a kitchen.
Going to have 12 volt ? A battery is about 40 lbs.
Sorry Tony I'm not helping- I didn't see the post.
I'm sure it can be built- but like you why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby arbakken » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Padilen wrote:If I'm reading this right you want a 6.5x12 tandem that weighs, 1200lbs and can carry 1500lbs.

2 x 1500 = 3000

That 1500 lbs is probably a pipe dream, but I think i can get it done under 2k for sure. Rolling down the road at 2500 probably.
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Mines a single and about 1550 before any mods. I think I'm about 2050 lbs or 500lbs, of mods. But without water and bike which is near another 500. Need to add gear, clothing and food. So I'm getting near my 3500 rated total. Another bike and gear and I'm there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves