newbie initiation??

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

newbie initiation??

Postby billwww » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:19 pm

hello from Raleigh! just joined today. As of this moment, the plan is to retire from the cubicle in about 6 to 8 months after only 40 years on the corporate treadmill. Then buy a teardrop, load up the spouse, and hit the road! No interest in building my own... too many unfinished projects already and space is a problem... not to mention time; i'm not getting any younger. So i'm here to get educated. A tentative route plan is the national park loop. Maybe not in one pass! East coast trial run then strike out for the West. As a DAV i have access to the military FamCamps, but as a total newbie know nothing about them. yet.
so; big plans, high aspirations, great excitement, boundless enthusiasm!! ready for that cold bucket splash of reality! like the yacht dream - that ain't happnin'...$$$ prohibitive.
billw
billwww
Teardrop Inspector

Re: newbie initiation??

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

Welcome aboard. My suggestion is to check out the wonderful teardrop trailers, currently being built by many shops. A new trailer is a great way to get into teardropping, however, buying used can also fill your needs. It looks like you have a little time to check them all out. Scroll down to the TDs for sale on this board. Good luck on your efforts. You have been bitten by the TD bug.....BAD.
8) :D :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' woody teardrop guy in So Calif.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby brx017 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Hey Bill, fellow NC'er here... There are a number of smaller builders in the state now. Check Craigslist, most of them run ads in there. If you're willing to travel to pick up a trailer, there are tons of options out there. Good luck!

Brooks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Many people who buy them like Camp Inn out of wisc. drive there and pick them up and continue on the trip.
You can pull with most cars and any suv or truck. I pull with a corolla, others have Subaru's, others us old cars from the 50's brought back to life. If you are interested in any manuf. ed teardrop just put in the name above and if it is a bad one they will say so. Or you can send those who own one an personal message asking the + - of it.

Roly is right though there are some really nice ones people built that they can no longer pull for what ever reason, or have built a new one.

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Decide on the absolute minimum you need in a TD. Buy that. You can always add to it later (except for floor space). All the "extras" are nice, but they come with an on-going price - initial cost, plus extra weight to pull around, plus more things that require maintenance. Eventually you'll find the "sweet spot".......Many of us deal with $$$ / benefit issues on our builds/buys.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:14 pm

billwww wrote:hello from Raleigh! just joined today. As of this moment, the plan is to retire from the cubicle in about 6 to 8 months after only 40 years on the corporate treadmill. Then buy a teardrop, load up the spouse, and hit the road!

Godspeed, Bill W.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves