NEWBIE FROM TEXAS

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

NEWBIE FROM TEXAS

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello...and thanks for accepting me into your forum. I have been stalking for quite a while as I decided if I was up to the challenge of building my very own Tear Drop. After a few months of stalking and discussions with my wife, we have decided to go for it and build our very own TD which we have affectionately named "The Schmidt Haus".

My Northern Tool Aluminum 4X8 trailer arrived on Monday (3 Oct 16), and it is together and awaiting for the construction to begin. I contemplated purchasing the HF 4X8, but instead decided the weight savings of the aluminum trailer from NT was worth the extra cost. I got the trailer delivered to my door for $570.00

We have one main goal for this Teardrop, and that is to attempt to make it as light as possible so I can tow it with my Honda Goldwing. With that in mind, I am shooting for an approximately 650lb max weight, and a tongue weight of no more than 75lbs. If I miss the mark too much I may be forced to trike my Goldwing, which I am not really wanting to do just yet.

With the starting weight of 175lbs, I think I just might be able to keep it light enough. But we will see how it goes as I put all the creature comforts in it to keep Mama happy! ;)

I am sure I will have plenty of questions as I progress through the build. I know I will get trusted information and advice from everyone in the forums.

Cheers,
Schmidtty
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: NEWBIE FROM TEXAS

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Schmidtty .
Here's a little inspiration for your upcoming build.
My son saw this one during a oyster run in Anacortes, Washington.
That's some towing set up he has on that bike.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby KennethW » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:17 pm

If you can build 5i" wide inside to fit a full size mattress(small fender well inside). 48 is very cozy. With 2" foam floor and 1 1/2 foam walls, roof and canvas,paint coating you should be light enough(think no wood). :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dan242 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 am

it is worth it to make it wider, if yo are not sure, draw a 4x8 square on the floor and build some walls out of cardboard or something to see what its like. It wil feel like a coffin with 2 people in it. I am building on a 4x8 HF and making mine around 59" wide . Biggest regret is not wide enough. Even 54" will make a big difference. Where in TX? I have my trailer finished and will be starting shell in next week or so/ I'm in NE SA
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 am

Rip van winkle scaled out at 525 pounds loaded ready to sleep ( No cast iron loaded) I have pulled it with my old wore out 86 wing.

and the build link if you are interested !

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3 ... van+winkle
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby drhill » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Normally I would be one to agree with the earlier reply - 4' is too narrow, go for 5' wide. I would stick with that advice for any teardrop being towed with 4 wheels, but for towing with a motorbike I would think the 4' wide would be a better choice. Your alternative is the old pup tent and I am sure even a 4' wide teardrop will be much more comfortable.

My trailer is 5 x 10 and built rather heavy so that with the camper removed it can haul gravel, firewood, shingles etc. So the bare trailer with spare is 585 lbs. At the Shasta Lake gathering this spring we met a guy with a 4' wide that, fully loaded for travel, weighed less than my bare trailer. The sides were just 1/4 inch plywood. The hatch was lightly framed and only skinned on the outside. I assume the entire roof was just skinned on the outside too but I didn't have a look inside. A second layer of 1/4 plywood was used inside the sidewall at the hatch to provide a bit of a seal. He also had a couple kayaks he had built and it is those light weight kayak building techniques that he used on the teardrop. I have a couple pictures of it if that would help you. I think your weight goal is attainable.

You might want to reduce the height too for behind the bike, but still keep it tall enough to sit up and read. Be sure to start a build journal and post your plans and progress pictures. Have fun with your build!
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Welcome aboard, Schmitty. Good for you, wanting to build really light. For your infomation, it can be done, I mean really lilght. My little 6 foot stacker, (stacks up on end inside of the garage), tips the scales at just under 250 lbs empty. HF frame weighs 150 lbs and the 1/8 inch plywood teardrop body weighs only 95 lbs. (No foam or canvas used on this one). The lighter you can make it, the easier it will be to haul behind your Wing. Good luck on your build, take pics and post em......we love pics.
:) 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' woody td builder in So Calif.~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:36 am

Sorry for the delay...I know I replied days ago to all of your posts. :thinking:

I appreciate all of the information and suggestions. This trailer (hopefully will build another one in the future) is specifically going to be designed to be towed behind my 2007 Honda Goldwing, so weight and 4' wide is probably very important.

Mama and I are still not afraid of being cozy after 26 years, five kids and a grandchild (so far). So we are not worried about the claustrophobic closeness of a 4' wide TD at this point. We plan on having a tent attached, and the TD will be primarily for sleeping and maybe watching a movie, etc.

I am in Cedar Park, TX which is a suburb of Austin. I saw somewhere on the Forums that I just missed a tiny camper gathering in San Marcos, TX about a week ago.

Thanks again for the welcome posts. I look forward to the advice I can get on this forum as I start on my build. The trailer is waiting in the garage, just need to get a few more tools and then it's off to Lowes/Home Depot for the wood.

Cheers! :beer:
John
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Welcome JS!

When you get a chance swing by the South Central Section of the forum for a list of gatherings in the Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas area. Some are large. Some are small. Some are planned. Some are impromptu.

Hope to cross paths with y'all some day.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby johnnsheilaschmidt » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome post Tom! Looking forward to starting this build (this weekend), and becoming part of the TD fraternity.

Thanks,
Schmidtty
johnnsheilaschmidt
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves