Hello from Gig Harbor, WA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Gig Harbor, WA

Postby joyofweaving » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:10 am

Greetings. I live in the Pacific Northwest with my husband, cat, parrot and 11 chickens. My husband and I like to play in the Society for Creative Anachronism on occasion. Getting older brought with it some disabilities so tenting and setting up period encampments just isn't in the cards anymore. We thought we'd take the small 4 x 8 Little Red Trailer that we own (the one like you see at redtrailers dot com --- NOT the Harbor Freight one) and turn it into a tourney trailer that will look like a Tudor house. I have been researching my butt off and found you guys. Whether or not this becomes a reality will remain to be seen but it's something that I'd *really* like to see happen. So, I'm starting my research.

I am scouring the forums and discovered the joys of Foamular. Thanks for that! I never, in a million years, would have thought to use that. We were looking at using plywood and 2 x 2's but Foamular is just the ticket! I'm planning it to fold out to give us a whopping 14 x 8 footprint. That will give us plenty of room for 2 single beds (with room for more if someone else decides to tag along), a porta potty, somewhere to hang our garb and room to move around. It will have a canvas roof and may or may not be painted to look like either slate tiles or thatch, I haven't decided yet. Basically it will be a big tent but with hard walls, with no poles, ropes or stakes to pound into the ground. We just can't do that kind of stuff anymore. So far, I calculated it at about 300 lbs which is well below the 952 lb capacity of the trailer, so I know I have a lot of wiggle room for error. The only thing we'll be hauling in it is the beds, bedding, chuck box, porta-potti and any camp decorations like tiki torches, candles, lanterns, tables and chairs. The cooler, water and garb will be in our vehicle and will be the only things we'll really need to schlep out of it (and even all that stuff is on wheels).

I was looking at KILZ on Home Depot site. There's so many different kinds! What would be the best one to use for the canvas shell going over the Foamular (inside and out)?
You have to be warped to weave.
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hello from Gig Harbor, WA

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:28 am

Welcome to the board. Good luck on what ever you decide to build. Take pics, post em, ask questions and enjoy.
Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves