G'Day from Down Under

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

G'Day from Down Under

Postby edgeau » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:09 am

Hello all,
I love the international flavour of the membership here, I have seen posts from North America, South America, UK, Europe and of course my home - Australia. A big shout out to the Canadians – we visited your lovely country earlier in the year (your spring). Had a ball hiking trails around Whistler, Sun Peaks and Banff!
I am looking forward to participating in the helpful discussions!
I have already begun my build and I read that you like lots of photos so I have uploaded a couple to my gallery to get started with.
Let's see if I end up with anything like the plan!
Teardrop profile.jpg
I have picked up some second hand boat porthole glass pieces
Teardrop profile.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 790 times

So here is the story so far....
Our extended family are all mad keen water skiers and we gather regularly to camp and ski. My wife's 3 brothers, their families, the in-laws and two ski boats make quite a party!. Two of the brothers have upgraded from tents to camping trailers where the tent top folds out and the mattress is on top of the trailer still. Similar to this style of thing:
allrounder_194 (Custom).jpg
allrounder_194 (Custom).jpg (22.62 KiB) Viewed 790 times

When the air mattress in the tent sprang a leak my wife looked longingly at the foam mattresses in the trailers.... Now she is into retro style things, will dress in the style of any decade from the 40s through the 70s as the mood strikes so when she saw a picture of a teardrop on Pintrest, well let’s just say it was a light bulb moment.
Due to limited parking space (or too many vehicles & boat!) I have designed a system where I can lift the TD off my trailer so it can double for general haulage tasks. (it also allows for sliding a folding table and tarp poles etc underneath)
LiftOffTDFrame1.jpg
The bar the jacks lift slides out when the TD is in use.
LiftOffTDFrame1.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 790 times

I have the base trailer (5’ x 8’ flat top kit) and my floor frame complete (recycled steel too!). I have the profile drawn up and the marine ply for the sides ready to cut out ….
Although I’d love to have it done for our Christmas trip it is highly unlikely, given my time off work is after Christmas. I’ll do what I can in the meantime…
edgeau
500 Club

Re: G'Day from Down Under

Postby dales133 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Welcome from another aussie resident.
Nice profile youve got there. Enjoy your build
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi edgeau,
Welcome to the Forum... :applause:
I like your design ideas and hope to see more pics as you move forward with the build... :pictures:
I made several trips Down Under and still hope to get back to do a little prospecting... :worship:
I remember the Ettamogah Pub on the drive to Wagga Wagga in NSW... I wonder if my business card is still nailed high up on the tree trunk at the bar level... :lol: :lol:
Good luck with your build!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by AZ_Desert_Rat on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby drhill » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum and be sure to start a build thread so I can watch this build. Will it have a ski rack on the front? You have come up with a good arrangement for lifting the teardrop off the trailer. Seems too many people either don't know or don't consider that the coefficient of static friction is much higher than the coefficient of dynamic friction and plan to slide their campers on and off the trailer and find it is a difficult job. Your lifting arrangement will work well. I built mine to be lifted as well and it has been on and off the trailer many times.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby edgeau » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks DR Hill. I will indeed start a build post. And no ski racks needed (they are already on the boat :D )
I have already tinkered with the design a bit - I am trying to decide if I should make the radius of the front curve a bit bigger.
(go from 600mm to 800mm)
Teardrop profile comparison 2 (Custom).png
Teardrop profile comparison 2 (Custom).png (35.22 KiB) Viewed 672 times
edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:44 am

Build journal started at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67490
8)
edgeau
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves