Hello from eastern Virginia

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from eastern Virginia

Postby Getaways » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been registered a few weeks now. I have lived in southeastern Virginia my whole life. Looking to retire in a few years and start traveling more. I had always enjoyed camping the few times I'd gone before I met my wife. She was a tent camper from way back. We've been together for 10 1/2 years now. As much as we love camping, our respective ages and health conditions have been leading us to camp less. We miss it so much. So earlier this year I started doing tons of research into small trailers - of all types.

We are looking to buy a Max Flyer Plus from InTech RV. Saw this model at the Overland Expo East in October. Currently working on getting my old house ready to sell. Once we get a firm closing date plan on ordering the trailer. Not 'handy' enough to build a trailer - I majored in accounting for a reason :D.

My wife and I really liked the idea of the Max. Spacious, and the fold out bed allows a lot of floor space to keep our gear packed and ready to go. The ability to stand almost straight up was a big deciding factor. Have a bad back so tent camping (getting up and down off the ground is now a no go) and the limited space inside a traditional teardrop kind of pushed us to this model. My wife also wasn't too thrilled about the idea of a utility trailer with a roof top tent. So we saw the Max Flyer Plus and it clicked for both of us. Interestingly enough, we'd gotten separated while I was looking (lusting really) at some self contained 4x4 offroad vans by 'Sportsmobile' when one person associated with them pointed me towards InTech's booth. As I turned to look where he was pointing there was my wife standing in the back of the Max. She was waving at me and pointing to the trailer. She had a huge smile and was saying, "This is my choice!" She'd seen them while looking for me. For her it was love at first sight, and ironically, she had just stepped out from the door to look for me and at that second I had turned to see where the Sportsmobile guy was pointing. Karma!

Hoping to have it by the time most campgrounds open next spring. We have a few favorite campgrounds to go to first to work out the kinks of this change in lifestyle.

Only real mod I'm currently planning on is installing a tankless propane water heater.
Getaways
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from eastern Virginia

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Welcome aboard. You may want to check out the "gatherings" section in the board index, and drop into a few.....jondbar
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 am

Hi and welcome.

I noticed you are from eastern Va which is not far from us in Richmond. We are hoping to go to way eastern Va out to Kiptopeke. Maybe you have been there? It is open just a couple more weeks this season.
We just built a camper this year and are enjoying exploring some the many state parks.
I hope you enjoy your new camper!
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby traysaw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:02 am

Hey guys I'm in Virginia also, I'm in Richmond. Don L, I just bought a camper similar to the one that you are looking at. I had not seen the Max Flyer before. I bought the Cargo Lite Xtreme by Micro lite just a few weeks ago. Weight was a huge concern of mine which is one of the reasons I went with micro lite I also needed a camper that I could stand up in.
traysaw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Don L. » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi,

Both the Cargo Lite Extreme and the Max Flyer Plus look like well made campers. I hope you enjoy them.

I like to think of my camper as a 'happy place' and dream about going places. It is really important to me to experience a particular area in person, all the places we go are singular and interesting to me in some kind of way. Maybe not spectacular or super awesome but then, I don't expect that, just explore is my interest.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Getaways » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am

To those of you in VA. If you haven't been to Sherando Lake I wholeheartedly recommend that campground. We've been tent camping there 5 times in the last 4 years. Love it. It will be our first destination once we get our camper. Sites are reserve-able thru the National Park Service. Second will be Big Meadows. That was my wife's favorite campground before we discovered Sherando Lake.

If you like VA State Parks, ones I've been to and will go back again once we get the trailer, in no particular order: Smith Mountain Lake (SML), Hungry Mother and Douthat. To me a great draw to SML is the Drive Inn movie theater 5 minutes from the park entrance. Hungry Mother is located at the start of route 16, the Back of the Dragon. Great drive into Tazewell. And if you go that far, might as well go to Bourke's Garden 10-15 minutes from Tazewell. The most beautiful valley I've ever seen in my like. It is also called "God's Thumbprint". I've know of no one disappointed in seeing Bourke's Garden.
Getaways
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 pm

I believe the movie theater is closed. After the fire to the diner in the complex, I think the owners just gave up or something like that (I live in the area).

And I agree, Sherando lake is a great park. And they stock trout in both the upper and lower lakes. There is also a lot of hiking opportunities in the NF. (Again I lived in the area 10 years ago).

See http://wsls.com/2016/04/01/mayberry-dri ... fter-fire/
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves