Hello from KANSAS

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from KANSAS

Postby mhphillips111 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:08 am

I am in the process of building a tiny trailer. Started with the idea to build a teardrop and I think I have decided on a tiny instead. I want to thank everyone in advance for putting up with my questions.

My frame is going to be an old boat frame that I plan to convert to a tiny trailer. The kitchen will pull out from the passenger side and have a stove, refrigerator ice chest and a sink. Or that's the plan I will be able to open from the inside in case of bad weather. I plan to build it 9x6 with another foot v for storage. Total length 10x6.

That's the plan right now any ideas or warnings in advanced are appreciated. Here are a few pics of what I have so far with idea of using HDPE plastic on the bottom sealing it off from weather and insulate the floor. Then build the walls. Plan to use treated lumber on floor then 1x1 for walls. And skin with the HDPE plastic manufactured by sun dolphin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhphillips111
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from KANSAS

Postby MadMango » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Welcome, and great start. I would ensure if you are going to use those panels underneath that you ensure you have great edge sealing, as any leak path will allow water and it will be trapped between your subfloor and the plastic sheets.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:37 pm

MH:

Welcome aboard! :thumbsup: :beer:

with idea of using HDPE plastic on the bottom sealing it off from weather

I assume you know that stuff moves quite a bit with a change in temperature? There was a time when it was a popular addition to the bottom of drift boats but it was tough to keep in place. Here's some specs on it that forecast a 1/2" movement with a 4x8 sheet:

https://www.ipoly.com/faq/how-much-does ... d-contract

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mhphillips111 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 pm

tony.latham wrote:MH:

Welcome aboard! :thumbsup: :beer:

with idea of using HDPE plastic on the bottom sealing it off from weather

I assume you know that stuff moves quite a bit with a change in temperature? There was a time when it was a popular addition to the bottom of drift boats but it was tough to keep in place. Here's some specs on it that forecast a 1/2" movement with a 4x8 sheet:

https://www.ipoly.com/faq/how-much-does ... d-contract

Tony

Wow that's a lot I need to research the proper way to install to prevent or mitigate this or maybe not use it. Thanks for the info I was not aware of the movement. I wonder if I screw it more frequently if it will prevent or mitigate the movement. I was planning to plastic weld the sheets together. Not sure if it will help or hinder it.

mhphillips111
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mhphillips111 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:12 pm

MadMango wrote:Welcome, and great start. I would ensure if you are going to use those panels underneath that you ensure you have great edge sealing, as any leak path will allow water and it will be trapped between your subfloor and the plastic sheets.
agreed i also used treated wood to help mitigate this.

mhphillips111
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves