hi all

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

hi all

Postby ozichick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am

So, as you may guess from my user name, I'm Peta, a chick living in Australia. Piece of heaven, normally known as the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Although its a bit dry currently ...
Im scaring myself by thinking I could build a teardrop. Normally I think of crazy stuff in the middle of the night - (long term shiftworker means chronic insomnia) and daylight solves most of it. At the moment, the daylight means I'm googling and lurking and reading, and 2am says seriously! building something that will get driven on the highway at 100 kph when I haven't handled a tool in (cough) years - hmmm.
But, I'm having a major change year. I've chucked in my job, become a student, and needing something that's more physical than theoretical/academic. And I can't afford to buy a TD.... It's just me and the woofers, and I need to do something different. So, I will apologise for all dumb questions, and a desperate need for things to be metric, not imperial!
ozichick
Teardrop Inspector

Re: hi all

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 am

Go for it!
Happy to help if i can with measurements ect. Im just finishing one off in Victoria
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ozichick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:41 am

Happy to help if i can with measurements ect

Thanks dales 123!
My first question actually is - where did you get the trailer from? I see lots of people buy trailer bits and fiddle but I can't weld, and I feel a trailer is not a place to learn.
And thanks for your help!
Peta
ozichick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:07 am

ozichick wrote:Im scaring myself by thinking I could build a teardrop. Normally I think of crazy stuff in the middle of the night and daylight solves most of it. At the moment, the daylight means I'm googling and lurking and reading, and 2am says seriously! building something that will get driven on the highway at 100 kph when I haven't handled a tool in (cough) years - hmmm. And I can't afford to buy a TD.... It's just me and the woofers, and I need to do something different. So, I will apologise for all dumb questions, and a desperate need for things to be metric, not imperial!

To convert Imperial to metric reminder 25.4 ( 1" = 25.4 2"x 25.4 =50.8 )
A would think you would be able to get a China made bolt together 4' x 8' trailer with 12" tires or 4'x12x25.4=1219 by 8'x12x25.4=2438 with 304 tire (?)
Only 100 kph? I have towed my foamy up to 130 kph. My foamy teardrop is 5"x12x25.4=1524 wide and has 1'x25.4=25 foam-canvas roof and front wall with no spars(roof supports) :shock:
I have not heard of teardrops fall apart. Only heard of one that the galley door came off.
I how this helps.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jonw » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm

(I'm the guy who lost the galley hatch...).

If you can't get a trailer frame you might consider doing what I did. I built a very lightweight teardrop using marine plywood and had a tongue welded up for me that I bolted to the floor. I purchased a torsion axle and also bolted it to the floor. I've been across the US in it 3 times since it was built in 2011 and it's still going strong.

Check out the build journal in my signature for details.

Good luck!

Jon W
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Peta, get in touch with Reiner at Aussie teardrop Campers. He can weld up a frame for you and supply everything you need. Unfortunately you will have to wait for him to get back from a little holiday he is on at the moment but he is always willing to help.
By the way, the best part of Oz is down here, not up there ;)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby edgeau » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi Peta, I am not far away, Gold Coast. I ordered a bolt together kit trailer from http://www.easytrailer.com.au/ . As far as I can tell they are pretty much the same thing as the Harbor Freight trailers our US friends use. I got the 5 x 8 and it was delivered quickly, easy to assemble on my own with only hand toils.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Grr that was meant to be hand tools. Auto correct on the phone can be a pain sometimes.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Welcome to the Forum Peta from the Great White North.
It is snowing so hard here right now, that we are all sitting in front of our fireplaces dreaming about the Teardrop adventures we have had, and are about to have now that you have sent the sun back on it's journey north. ;)
Teardrop season for us is only another 4 away! :applause:
So, as you can see, there is a lot of help available here on this Great Forum
Merry Christmas from Canada.
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves