Hello from Australia

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Australia

Postby Chris H. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello, I'm currently living in Australia but I'm going to be moving to New Zealand later this year. I've done a bit of camping over the years. I've decided I'm going to go on some road trips to explore NZ but want a little more than just a tent and a teardrop or similar seems ideal for my needs. So, I've decided to start planning my build for when I get to NZ.

I think a 10' x 5' with a 4' side profile height seems about right for me, along with a tongue box. I love the look of the Cub and I like the folding bed/seat and large window features of the Vistabule but I don't know if there's enough headroom for the folding bed/seat arrangement to work in a Cub so I might need to alter the side profile to make it work. Anyway, it seems like there's a lot here to look at and gain inspiration from.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hello from Australia

Postby drgrumpus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Chris, welcome to the wonderful craziness of teardrop world. I think the 5X10 layout is ideal. I did mine three years ago and I can't wait to get back on the road in May. I think you may want to consider 4-1/2 feet for the height. If you are 5-10 or more, you will prefer the added head room. I laid out my design as 4-1/2 high, then went to 5 because I was using 5X5 ply and I didn't want to make 6 inches of scrap. If I do it over, I'll stay at 4-1/2.

Good luck building.

Mike
Five cords of wood in, snow tires on, 5 X 8 NT frame on order. Gonna build a TD this winter.
drgrumpus
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris H. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks Mike. I was starting to think I might add some more to the height as I'm 6' and I couldn't see it working well at 4'. I can get 10' x5' ply sheets but I think that 5' is a bit high so your suggestion of 4' 1/2" sounds pretty good at this stage.
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

You might think of a Grasshopper and welcome to the madness :thumbsup:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Chris H. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks Shadow Catcher and I can see how it can become a madness. Lots of nice options out there but I'm really drawn to the retro Cub shape at this point.
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Chris what ever appeals to you.
You do realize there is a cost, we expect to have you share your adventures with us and lots of pictures.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to tnttt from across the ditch :shake hands: and welcome in advance, across the ditch. :thumbsup: What part of New Zealand are you looking to settle in :QM
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris H. » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi Sheddie, at least to start with I'll be in Auckland where I grew up. I plan on doing a few road trips around the country and if I find somewhere I really like then I just might end up in that place further down the track. I haven't been north of the Brynderwyns for far too long.
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sheddie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:07 am

If you get up this far you had better make contact :thumbsup:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves