New Guy- Building Ambitious Convesion Camper

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Guy- Building Ambitious Convesion Camper

Postby MikeofLegend » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker, recent new member. I live in Florida and my wife has convinced me to build our own conversion camper. We are very new to everything and hoping to build something that we can take on long, cross-country trips with our 9 year old son. We have previously done two cross country trips to the north and this year we are going to California over three weeks.

I'm looking at doing a conversion because my Range Rover Evoque can only pull 3,500 lbs. Any tips, ideas and such on getting electric and water going and keeping weight down would be great!

Thanks!
MikeofLegend
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Guy- Building Ambitious Convesion Camper

Postby ColoradoCody » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 pm

What do you mean by a conversion camper? Do you have pictures of what you're looking to build?
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Hey Mike, welcome aboard........You're probably gonna need to provide a few more specifics on where you're starting from (converting from what & how big), and what your general aim is (to what & how big). The suggestions will surely come rolling in when everyone has an idea of the parameters your're trying to meet. Just saying "3500 lbs. max" is equivalent to saying "Jumbo sized" around here. The possibilities are endless.....doug
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Welcome, MikeofLegend!

That Land Rover has some pretty impressive specks! However, when you are calculating what you can tow, please be certain that you are considering not only the vehicle's towing ability but also its towing ability when braking. You may have already done that; but, just to be certain that you stay in one piece when towing, I am mentioning it.

I looked here: http://www.landroverusa.com/Images/LRNA ... 250645.pdf

What I found was that a Land Rover will only STOP 1,653 lbs when the trailer is unbraked ( no brakes); and, if the trailer has over-run brakes, a Land Rover coupe can stop 3,968 lbs (I think that means the vehicle's computer must be allowed to run the brakes somehow,so please be certain that you understand this point.)

Here, at tnttt, most of our trailers are roughly 600 to 1200 lbs; some, less; some, more. However, we consider ourselves truly tiny! We still welcome you, your pictures and your ideas and we share our pictures and ideas with you. You would be hard pressed to find a better, friendlier forum; so, if you decide to stay, enjoy! Most of all, stay safe and happy!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves