Oregon Coast Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Oregon Coast Newbie

Postby Gambinor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:33 am

Well, Hi there. I've been on this board for a few months now and have decided to finally introduce myself. I'm Robert, a retired (and tired) fella living on the central Oregon coast with my wonderful wife Julie. Born in PA., moved with the family to So. Cal. when I was 10. Raised there until moving to Oregon in 1981 (yeah, I missed Mt. St. Helens blow her top). Raised three wonderful, successful children with my first wife. Not that kind of divorce; we get along fine and still have love and respect for each other. Well...... enough of that stuff.......

My second wife of 8 years and I have always admired tear drop trailers, back when we first started to see T@Bs around. Then we started noticing smaller, more vintage types and loved them even more for their simplicity. We like occasional camping but don't want the headaches and hassles that go with larger travel trailers. I've been there and done that, many times over, when the kids were younger and still have a few of the T-shirts!

Over the past few years I thought about building one myself as I could not afford to buy a new one. Well, a friend told me about an old one setting in a friends yard and it went from there. I now have A PROJECT. It's a kit built CUB MODERNAIRE of about 1947 vintage. Bare bones with no interior skin and everything that is not aluminum is (understandably) rotted. I got it for nearly a song that I sang myself (cheap). Why buy such a project? Because it has an all aluminum skin and a great deal of aluminum stringers as well. All reusable!

My goal is to restore it but also modify it. It has a Dexter type swing axle that I plan on extending by a foot or so, making it 5' wide inside instead of 4'. A 4 foot sleeping cabin is just TOO SMALL, especially at our age!
:R

In the few months that I have been perusing this board I have already learned a great deal and have convinced myself that I really do know what I'm doing and getting into. I thank all the folks that contribute here and can only hope that I am able to help and payback in some small way.

If you find yourself in my area....... give me a shout!

Keep the rubber side down!
Robert
Gambinor
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Oregon Coast Newbie

Postby pchast » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Welcome! :D

Please keep us posted on what you do.
We love pictures too. :pictures:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pruittaw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 am

Welcome! I use to live North of you in Garibaldi but now live in Portland. I'm currently building a tear drop. Here's an interior photo of the current state of mine. We'd love to see photos of your project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tony (pronounced 'toe knee')
pruittaw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gambinor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks Pete, thanks Tony.

Tony, that's looking real fine. Love all the wood.

I'll post some pics soon. Lots and lots of, "Oh my Gawd! Look at this mess!" going on as I tear her down. Some surprises but mostly just bustin bolts and drillin rivets (and screwing up perfectly good aluminum panels). :lol:
Gambinor
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves