Hello from Western NY

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Western NY

Postby deoc4114 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi all -

I've been a long time lurker as evidenced by my join date, but have mainly used it to look at and track topics.

Since my family is getting really close to pulling the trigger on some kind of camping unit, I figured it would be time to start becoming more active on here.

We're on the hunt for some type of small, towable, enclosed camping unit. We've looked at pop-ups, aliners, fiberglass eggs, and teardrops. Haven't settled on anything mostly because we don't quite have the budget to make a mistake right now - but we're mostly leaning towards something teardrop-ish based on our goals and needs.

The goal is something for the three of us - 6'3" husband (me), 5'0" wife, and currently 3yo daughter - to use for road trips, camping, and possibly as a spare room when necessary. We'd be towing it behind our Subaru Outback (2013, 2.5L, 6mt). Our budget for this first endeavor is the further under $5k the better.

With those requirements, we're leaning toward something with the following amenities:
- space for us to sleep inside comfortably with minimal setup (overnight road trip stop)
- basic galley that only needs fresh food to be ready for a last minute trip
- ability to hold a busy weekends worth of clothes
- a portapotti for those late night and emergency rest stops.

Form of that space for those amenities is flexible, just needs to carry those basically full time. After talking about things a bit - since we'd mostly be camping in the summer - we'd even be able to do separate bunks/berths for everyone if we go for something like a cargo trailer conversion.

We'd love to build it ourselves, but I'm too busy making excuses about resources to get started - in reality it's fear and indecision on my part. As we look at designs and thoughts, something like a simple cargo conversion seems like the first try - but we're still wavering back and forth without having started.

I realize this is a bit all over the map - but it gives an idea of where we are.

WIth all that said - hi again, and I look forward to our interactions.

Dan
deoc4114
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Western NY

Postby pchast » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Welcome Dan.
:thumbsup:
Your list is quite attainable.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 am

You need to look in your tow vehicle owners manual to determine its' towing capacity and maximum tongue weight allowed. You may be able to go with a standard model Scamp 13. The front bunk model would possibly work for you. The ones built after the factory had a serious fire were taller inside, but will still be a little short for you. You can look up the date of the fire, maybe 2002 or 2007, but I don't really remember. Your tow vehicle will limit your options. Besides owning a vintage teardrop, we also have a Uhaul fiberglass camper and a Casita 17 fiberglass camper. It's definitely nice to be able to just open the door and step inside with the two fiberglass trailers. At 6' tall, I have hit my head in both, but I'm not standing up inside all that much.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby drgrumpus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 am

Dan, Welcome to the best darn teardrop site in the known universe. I think you can do your own 5X10 for 5-6K and keep it at 1100lb and tow behind your Outback. You may be able to sleep two adults plus a 3 yr old on a queen mattress. As the child grows(inevitable), you can carry a small pop-up tent for her. My 5X10 has a queen mattress, adequate storage inside for a weeks worth of clothes, a small tv for watching dvd's, a full galley with cold food storage and a 2 burner stove. It weighs in at 1100 and tows great behind our Forester 2.5. I can send details if you are interested. You have a neighbor in Corning who loves to show off her 5X10 woodie.

Mike
Five cords of wood in, snow tires on, 5 X 8 NT frame on order. Gonna build a TD this winter.
drgrumpus
Teardrop Builder

Postby deoc4114 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

mary and bob wrote:You need to look in your tow vehicle owners manual to determine its' towing capacity and maximum tongue weight allowed... Your tow vehicle will limit your options.

For towing, our OB is rated for 2700lbs total and 200lbs tongue. To be honest - after towing a couple heavier loads, my ideal would be to keep it under 1500lb, and definitely nothing over 2000lb.

mary and bob wrote:You may be able to go with a standard model Scamp 13. The front bunk model would possibly work for you. The ones built after the factory had a serious fire were taller inside, but will still be a little short for you.

We've seen a scamp 13 in person. I had no issue with the standing height - after 15+ years of being over 6ft tall, I've gotten used to having to stoop. Our bigger problem was the side of the bed - I do tend to stretch out lengthwise, and that's just not possible in a bed going across the width of those trailers.

drgrumpus wrote:I think you can do your own 5X10 for 5-6K and keep it at 1100lb and tow behind your Outback. You may be able to sleep two adults plus a 3 yr old on a queen mattress.

The CTC is probably the route we're going to start with - looking at both 5x and 6x trailers. Considering either queen mattress or something like the discobed since we tend to sleep at opposite edges of a king mattress in the warmer months. Individual bunks could also give some floor space to be able to change clothes and take off shoes inside while it's raining.

drgrumpus wrote:As the child grows(inevitable), you can carry a small pop-up tent for her.

WAIT!!! THEY GROW?!?! Say it ain't so! :shock:

Kidding aside, we'd actually like to keep berths for the three of us inside since the goal is to be able to use this for festivals and roadtrips in addition to camping. For some reason - festivals always seem to be during a monsoon here. So that means a dry place to sleep that doesn't have to be setup is a big goal for us. We'll be keeping the pop tent for the eventuality that she's too cool to sleep in the trailer with Mom and Dad - but we'll try to keep a place for her inside while it's possible.

I'll definitely have to take a look at your build drgrumpus, anything for inspiration at this stage.
Is the lady down in corning on this forum? If so could you share the user name or a build link?

Dan
deoc4114
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves