Experienced camper... first-time TD "Waiter".

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Experienced camper... first-time TD "Waiter".

Postby G-Mac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've got plenty of camping experience, from backpacking to pop ups to fifth-wheel. I'm tired of the ground and have no interest in going back to a full-sized home behind a gigantic truck.

So, my Jeep Wrangler (4-Door) is my tow vehicle and my wife and I are wanting something small, light (relatively speaking), capable and with little setup. After looking at utility trailers with an RTT and teardrops, we've decided a TD with some slight off-road modifications is the direction we are headed. We have not made a final decision to buy/build and exactly what size/options/etc. we want but we are close.

So, "Hello" and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Thanks for your patience, wisdom and feedback.

Regards,

Gary
Last edited by G-Mac on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Experienced camper... first-time TD "Wanter".

Postby ae6black » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm

I would say before you build or even buy, attend a gathering. I am sure someone would let you climb inside their unit just to see how you fit. You can learn a lot just by looking at a lot of different units in one place. What works for one, may not be all that important to others. I built a plain bare bones tear and it suits me fine. Others would not like what I thought was the most important. The great thing about tiny campers is that you are never really done with them. There are always modifications to be made. It's not only part of the madness, but part of the satisfaction and fun of finding what works best for you and your situation. Also something as simple as a different TV can make a world of difference as to how you camp.

Enjoy!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby G-Mac » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 am

Art,

Thanks for the suggestion. We actually hit the East Coast Overland Expo last fall and did just that. Climbed around the new ones on display and visited a few in the camping area and talked a LOT. I've been away from camping for a while and its nice to see the general hospitality hasn't changed. People love to chat about their "baby" and offer suggestions.

We actually settled on a "TD", but more of the cargo trailer design. It has almost everything we want and I have ideas on adding what it still needs. The main thing we are going to do first, is get out and use it... then I'll start with the desired modifications, one-at-a-time. I'm scouring the website looking for new ideas and tips to make the mods go well. Already learned I was WAY overzealous with my solar shower thoughts... turns out I would have had 35 gallons available and 300# on the roof. That's exactly why I asked. Now that I have the formula, I'll scale it back to 5-10 gallons at the most.

Again, thanks and I'm sure you'll see more posts from me asking more questions!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ae6black » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 pm

as far as a shower goes. I just use a 5 gal bucket that I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in to attach a shut off valve/shower head. I use this setup right now in a simple wood frame that I wrap in a tarp for privacy. Could forget about the wooden enclosure and just set it up on the top of the TD and have the same effect. A simple surround placed close to the TD would work. Solar has always been a bit iffy for me for shower set ups in my application. Oftentimes I want a shower before it's warmed up. A gallon on heated water poured in the bucket with three or four cold gallons of water makes just the right temp on those somewhat chilly mornings. With solar you have to wait until afternoon for the water to warm up. Also some times the water in the solar applications I've seen can get a bit too hot particularly in mid summer.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 pm

A number of folks have mocked up their potential tear using cardboard. I will also advise coming to a gathering.
There are many who have a four wide that wish they had a five wide, there a none that have a five wide that wish they had a four wide. Ours is a 6X10 and is not off road able. But it does have a shower...
A couple of sources, AT has or had a shower point from Bullfinch in the UK, I liked it enough to install one on ours.
http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/
http://adventuretrailers.com/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:20 pm

You are going to find that the Teardrop Community is far different from most campers.
We to have done the full game of camping styles from an $18.00 2 man pup tent to a Motorhome (Much more expensive and way less fun).
But, since pulling out of our driveway for the first time with our TD 4 years ago, our life has changed dramatically.
We now have a whole new group of wonderful friends and are part of an amazing culture.
Also, the type of camping we had imagined for out Teardrop camping, is much different than expected. :roll:
Thus, no shower required! Don't dwell on something that may not be used or that important to you a couple years down the road.
For us, time was spent on an entertainment centre inside the teardrop and external speakers in the Galley.
Well in the 221 night we have slept in Miss Piggy, we have yet to watch a movie, and it very seldom that Sandi allows me to turn n the CD player.
It interrupts the tranquility of our camping time with our friends.
You are going to be in for some srprises! :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi :wine: :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby G-Mac » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm

I appreciate the responses. I have a "list" in my head from past experience, but I've limited the actual purchases for our TD to MUST-haves. I want us to take it out and see what we "need" before going any further. I'm even going to wait on the shower until we have a couple trips under our belt to see if it is still "needed".

We have an Intech Max Flyer on order. It's basically a 5x10 cargo trailer (4 feet tall inside) with a pull-out "Australian-style" kitchen in the front. Again, I have a ton of ideas, but I want to get out and USE it... and we'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks again!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 am

Most truck stop have very nice clean showers. To start some type of rain of sun shade (tarp) may be nice. can step up if you find the need.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Idlerockfarm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:03 pm

G-Mac wrote:We have an Intech Max Flyer on order. It's basically a 5x10 cargo trailer (4 feet tall inside) with a pull-out "Australian-style" kitchen in the front. Again, I have a ton of ideas, but I want to get out and USE it... and we'll see where it goes from there.

I'm very curious about how the Intech works for you. I haven't talked to anyone who's seen one in person.
2016 Livin Lite Quicksilver 6.0
Nights camped 2016: 17
Idlerockfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:00 pm

I plan to post some comments and review after we have used it a bit. I also found very little about it while researching it, but was fortunate enough to see it at Overland Expo East and have a local dealer just 45 miles away. So, I was able to spend some time around/in it (along with my lovely wife) and get a much better feel for it. The only thing we didn't like was the lack of water in the galley. After seeing it, I have a plan to remedy that. I'll know more about how well that will work when i get it home.

Look for a review in the next 6 weeks!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Water in the Galley!
Now there is a topic that's been beaten to death here on the Forum!
You should read some old posts.
Then really think about all that goes with that running water and sink in your Galley, and what you give up for that un necessary luxury. :thinking:
You can tell from this comment how I would cast vote! :thumbdown:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Also, you need to remember the "Social" and of the trailer is not usually the tongue end. :roll:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Idlerockfarm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:26 pm

I look forward to the review. I hope it is excellent.
2016 Livin Lite Quicksilver 6.0
Nights camped 2016: 17
Idlerockfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Vedette wrote:Water in the Galley!
Now there is a topic that's been beaten to death here on the Forum!
You should read some old posts.
Then really think about all that goes with that running water and sink in your Galley, and what you give up for that un necessary luxury. :thinking:
You can tell from this comment how I would cast vote! :thumbdown:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Also, you need to remember the "Social" and of the trailer is not usually the tongue end. :roll:

Now you have piqued my curiosity... I'll go do some reading before "getting wet". ;)
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Experienced camper... first-time TD "Waiter".

Postby G-Mac » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Posting my mods and opinions in my "build" thread. Have a look!

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves