Another hello from Minnesota

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Another hello from Minnesota

Postby smit0577 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 am

Hi all,

I just posted a question in General, then realized I should have done this part first.....

Hello! I'm from Minneapolis MN and have started daydreaming intensely about teardrop campers! My wife and I have two small boys and a biggish dog. What is appealing to me is the quick set up of the teardrops. I know we'll have to figure out something for the kids, but I'm still early in the dreaming phase.

So, if I was forced to drop everything and build today it would be: 5X8 Grumman 2 on a NT aluminum trailer. Made with foam and PMF (canvas and glue). I would have some clear cedar spars and mount 1/8 ply (made of some interesting wood that's available at Youngblood) outside of the spars to make the ceiling sorta interesting - and use those spars inside to hang stuff. Foam roof. I'd canvas the insides of the wall panels before assembly for ease but leave the cedar and ply ceiling woody (water-based polyurethane?). Simple simple simple galley, electronics in the sleeping area maybe just for a fan. Commercially available doors for a professional look and speed/convenience.

I can never see myself owning more than a four cylinder car and I've always tried to live with a little less stuff. So that explains a few of the decisions.

Thanks!

Scott
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Re: Another hello from Minnesota

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:05 am

Welcome! Your plan sounds like it should work well, but what about the dog and kiddos?

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Re: Another hello from Minnesota

Postby smit0577 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks for the welcome! The dog will stay pretty close to me! As far as the boys go.... I've already been searching these forums for "transverse bunks" "pop up" "pull out" "side tent" etc. etc. but those get away from the pleasant little curvy shape and simplicity, right?

Maybe they can seep in the back of the car/station wagon/compact SUV while my wife and I (and the dog) take the trailer? I'm looking for good ideas.
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves