Hello

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello

Postby JeepinPete » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 am

Hi, my name is Pete. Like everyone that has a desire to build something out of the ordinary, I like to complicate my life :lol: I am a mechanical engineer by training and nature, so I find myself always getting into projects most "normal" people would never consider.

So how did I end up here? I have always been a tent camper. Why wife was never a camper. She tried the tent, being a good sport, but it just isn't her thing. We have two kids, and I find myself wanting to spend more and more time in the woods with them. Since my wife doesn't care for tenting, this was leaving her out of the fun, so to speak. So a middle ground had to be found.

Last spring we bought a used popup camper. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Last fall we took a two week road trip. Original plan was to hop skip and jump our way through New Hampshire and Maine. We never did make it to Maine for a number of reasons, but had a great time in NH.

The trip did teach me that a popup is not my idea of a good time. Way too much time was spent setting up and packing up. And the popup itself is too large. With a sink and stove inside, plus a shower and toilet. We never cooked inside, used a Coleman white gas stove outside on the camp table. Never spent much time inside other than sleeping either. The shower was used, but it consumed a huge amount of water, and the toilet was for emergencies only. Dealing with a tank of waste...

So I have been looking for an alternative. Something that splits the difference between a tent and a popup. And the teardrop type camper would seem to cover most of my needs. Time will tell I guess.

Pete
JeepinPete
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello

Postby G-Mac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 am

Hey Pete, good to meet you!

I think you are on the right track. I too wanted a compromise between the compactness and lightweight of tent-camping and the comfort, security and weather-resistance of a camper. Having towed everything up to a fish-wheel (but never a teardrop) I know the benefits and drawbacks of them. Setup/teardown will always take the joy out of a trip, especially when it is raining or snowing. Towing something that requires little to no setup tends to be large and heavy... but he teardrop is a nice compromise.

Best of luck and post what you decide to do!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bc toys » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Welcome Pete and Wife and kids I use a cargo as a camper park and set up in about 30min and Im slow with 2 kids you will have to think about your lay out very careful. Well enjoy your time with them know matter what you decide to do
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 am

Welcome, I to had pop-up, hated it to. The teardrop has proven to be the perfect item between tenting and a hardside camper. We proved last October, had a wedding to attend 2 hours from home. Last minute decision to go, called in sick by the way! Rented my spot, enjoyed the wedding party. At 1am, backed into my spot, we crawled into bed, and slept like a baby! No setup! Run the power cord was the only thing I did. Perfect!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves