Hello from Columbus, Ohio

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Columbus, Ohio

Postby bd_ohio » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello everyone!
A newbie from Columbus, Ohio here. I've been gleaning the forums for about a year now, and my wife and I are finally getting started on our first build.

Our plan is to build a "mostly foamie" Benroy, but I'm sure I will be posting some questions in various forums soon enough. :-)

Since this is our first build, we want to keep it as simple as possible - 4x8 HF trailer, no hatch and the doors and windows will be purchased, not built. We're really just looking for an upgrade from our tent that we can tow behind our Subaru Impreza.

We're really looking forward to putting some miles on this thing and exploring as many state and national parks as we can.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this community. The knowledge and experiences you've shared have been extremely helpful and inspiring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian - rookie trailer builder
Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Columbus, Ohio

Postby DrewsBrews » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello from Dayton! We also haven't built our trailer yet. Still sourcing parts. Actually, just this Friday, we picked up a door from an RV surplus place just north of the Michigan border. They are on ebay. Can find a lot of options by typing "teardrop door" in the ebay search. Both Bottomdollarsurplusinc and Tristatesurplusllc seem to be in southern Michigan. If they happen to have what you need you can save a ton of money by taking a short road trip to pick up the stuff.

Are you are extending the platform wider than 4ft? Otherwise that's pretty cramped for two.

Are you planning to make cabinets inside for storage? This also helps add some rigidity to the foam structure.

We are using a harbor freight frame too, though the build will be non-traditional, using an 8x6ft truck bed camper top as the top half.

Wish you luck and hope we meet at a campsite some day!
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby bd_ohio » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 am

Thanks for the tips, Drew! I think a road trip to southern Michigan is in our future. I'll definitely look those places up, but I found another RV parts seller up there too (eBay user madisonctrwhsl).

I had planned to keep it at 4x8 for simplicity, but I know many people have said that's pretty small for two. So we'll probably test that out first.

What part of Dayton are you in? My wife's family is in Centerville and I have a brother out in Sugar Creek Twshp.

Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am

BD, I'm close to 270 and Roberts Rd. Just across the river from UA. You are welcome to check out my build for ideas.

Tom
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Tomterrific wrote:BD, I'm close to 270 and Roberts Rd. Just across the river from UA. You are welcome to check out my build for ideas.

Tom

That puts you two miles from my house over in Hilliard.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby bd_ohio » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:37 am

I just might have to take you up on that! I drive through that area all the time. I'm just off Hayden Run and work in Grandview. So both of you guys are fairly close by.

What size trailer did you guys build? Last night my wife and I tested what a 4x8 and a 5x8 might feel like and we were surprised how much of a difference the extra foot made. So now we're thinking we might go that route.

Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves