Greetings from Victoria Australia.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings from Victoria Australia.

Postby bnicho » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for a while and joined up last week.

After camping in tents for many years I have been inspired by a mate's teardrop build. It put into motion in my head dormant thoughts of building a little travel trailer of my own design.

The closest thing I have ever built to a teardrop before is this little luggage trailer. It was designed to compliment my Mini Moke. It's just 1.5cm (59 inches) long and 1.3m (51 inches) wide in the body section. It has a lightweight steel frame and 2mm gal sheet on the outside. Unladen weight is just 140kg (310 pounds). I can lift one side with one arm to change a tyre. :)

Designed to carry luggage, it's way to small to sleep in and is basically an unlined tin box. Although it's surprising how much stuff can fit in such a small space.

This link (if it works), should show a bit of the build process. Sorry about the crap photobucket ads!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bnicho/library/moke_trailer

My current thoughts for my new project are:

- 2m long (79 inch) by 1.4m-1.5m (55-60 inch) wide travel trailer. I'd like to keep it under 200kg (450 lbs) unladen weight.
- Fenders will be "wheels partially inside", allowing a four foot wide mattress between the inner fenders.
- I'm thinking curved over teardrop type nose end with a flat rear end.
- The rear end will most likely have removable shelving and bulkhead above and behind the footwell. That way I can pull the shelves/bulkhead out and use it as a luggage trailer when not camping.
- A side door will provide camping access for sleeping.
- Full size rear door for luggage.
- The draw bar will have some sort of box for my fridge and 12v battery.
- Wheels will be 10 inch or 12 inch as I have lots of them in Mini/Moke stud pattern.
- Most likely I will use a rubber sprung IRS axle.
- Chassis/Frame design will basically be the same as I used last time, just scaled up a little and with more supports in the side walls.

Not sure yet whether to go plywood or aluminium composite panels. I like the look of plywood, but composite might be more durable and comfortable in the harsh Aussie sun. :thinking:

The reason for "wheels partially inside" design is I want to the track to be as close as possible to my Moke and I think a four foot wide body may be a bit short on elbow room!

Thoughts and comments welcomed. :beer:

Thanks,
Bnicho
bnicho
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings from Victoria Australia.

Postby frosty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 am

Welcome.

the link is password protected mate.

loved my moke when I had one ! ;-)

cheers
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby bnicho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 am

Thanks for the welcome. I will try and sort out the photobucket rubbish later.

My Moke is the last vehicle I will ever sell. I've owned it almost 20 years now. :shock:
bnicho
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bnicho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:48 am

Photobucket link should now be working. :thumbsup:
bnicho
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves